Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seller reneging on sale

Options
  • 26-01-2019 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Advice please...

Went to view a camper at persons house. It was priced very competitively maybe 2k below market value??? at end of my inspection we shook hands and agreed on sale for his asking price. I put down deposit of 500 euro with agreement that he was to drive it to my house an hour away that evening or next morning.

Later in the evening, got a text from seller asking to call him. He then claimed his wife had changed her mind and didn't want to sell which I think is bull as later in the conversation he said that she could sell it herself in a few weeks if she wants.. I think he just wants more money.

He has agreed to return my deposit.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Poor form but it seems not everyone's handshake is worth what it should be. You only have verbal so what can you do? Make sure to get the deposit back ASAP and move on. I take it you have a receipt for it with purpose etc written on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Don't think there is much you can do, just collect your deposit, they might change mind when handing the cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Update: received deposit back. He apologised and claimed wife decided not to sell after he had sold it to me. I asked if I might see it for sale in a month's time for a higher price and he said that if she changes her mind back towards selling then he will ring me and sell it to me for price we had agreed. So maybe he is telling truth after all. Anyway the search goes on... Cheers for replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This exact thing (well almost exact) happened to me in November. Shook hands, deal done, but the seller called the night before collection to tell me that circumstances had changed and he wasn't selling just yet and that he'd give me first preference if he was selling it further on down the line for the same price. He seemed genuinely apologetic and was sorry for our wasted time and (very) long drive down and back up the country on the same day.

We were gutted, but it's his property in fairness. We waited a few months whilst looking at other vans. Eventually we saw one we liked and I texted him to say we were about to move on another one, but were still interested in his one. Heard nothing back.

Hope you get sorted.

Advertisement