Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good area in Dublin to buy a house in?

Options
  • 26-01-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a mortgage and buy a house, but naturally, can't afford houses in most places.

Property in my price range is located usually around Tallaght, Clondakin, Finglas, etc. Are there any parts of Tallaght or Clondakin, for example, where it's relatively safe to live and to buy property? Or any particular parts to stay away from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

BabyJane17 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am looking to get a mortgage and buy a house, but naturally, can't afford houses in most places.

Property in my price range is located usually around Tallaght, Clondakin, Finglas, etc. Are there any parts of Tallaght or Clondakin, for example, where it's relatively safe to live and to buy property? Or any particular parts to stay away from?

Good parts of all those places tbh. I'm originally from Tallaght and it was always said that the M50 side of the Square was grand. Suppose its changed a bit in the last 15 years but I'm sure it generally rings true even now. You'd have to drive around these places at night to see for yourself. Even nice area's have crap neighbours so its all a gamble really

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BabyJane17

dbas wrote: »
    Good parts of all those places tbh. I'm originally from Tallaght and it was always said that the M50 side of the Square was grand. Suppose its changed a bit in the last 15 years but I'm sure it generally rings true even now. You'd have to drive around these places at night to see for yourself. Even nice area's have crap neighbours so its all a gamble really

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering. I live in Firhouse, and some dodge parts of Firhouse as well. I spend my weekends in and around Square and I've never seen any problems. But, tbh, not sure about what happens deeper in the woods :)

I've lived my entire life in the South of Dublin, so wouldn't be as familiar with the Northside.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering. I live in Firhouse, and some dodge parts of Firhouse as well. I spend my weekends in and around Square and I've never seen any problems. But, tbh, not sure about what happens deeper in the woods :)

I've lived my entire life in the South of Dublin, so wouldn't be as familiar with the Northside.

Any deals in Ballycullen? Grand spot there behind you. Someone could advise you on Finglas or Clondalkin. Palmerstown might have good deals also, but you'd need local advice for that

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

Majority of people in these areas are good honest working people. It's a small amount of scumbags that drag these areas down. It depends on your personnel circumstances, ie, if you've kids? What ages? This is the worry and problem, young teenagers out mixing being introduced to drugs at a young age.

If it's just yourself and maybe a partner, there really shouldn't be an issue. Usually if you keep to yourself you'll be fine. Trouble in these areas is greatly exaggerated, REALLY!

Get a German Shepherd if you want proper home security and don't be worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BabyJane17

I've checked Ballycullen, nice area but out of my budget, I'm afraid.

What about around Sundale Avenue in Tallaght?

• Advertisement

Is that past the Square?
    I used to think Citywest was grand- but from what i'm hearing its a kip. Look for settled areas with little/no rentals available. this might be a cul de sac close to crap areas, but it will be grand. Check the state of the front of th ehouses and gardens. If they are well kept its generally a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The better areas the price will be higher. It is as simple of that. So if one house is 20-30k more expensive than another expect the area for the 20-30k more expensive house to be better......

Example D15, Roselawn, Glenville etc will be hugely more expensive to Hartstown/Huntstown etc.....

Then of course Castleknock will be more expensive to Roselawn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

You can get a good price house in swords/kinsealy? Transport may be an issue, what’s your budget?

Hi guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bri007 wrote: »
    You can get a good price house in swords/kinsealy? Transport may be an issue, what’s your budget?

Swords has good bus connections to town these days I think?

Sorry yeah I meant kinsealy, I’ve a good friend living there and said the buses had been cut. Swords is well connected to town, and the pavilions has more or less everything you could want. Dunnes/ super value for grocery and penny’s can’t go wrong!

Stil some good value houses to be had there.

Swords has good bus connections to town these days I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Old Bawn/Millbrook/Aylesbury/Homelawn/Avonbeg/Bolbrook/Glenview/Balrothery/Castle Lawns all very quiet and settled areas. Lots of Tymon is quiet. Kilnamanagh/Kingswood/Belgard also nice and settled. House sizes vary hugely between these areas which would be reflected in the price. Think about your commute, will you be sitting in a bottle neck junction filled with traffic every morning and evening? The closer to the N81 you are, the less likely you are to be caught, e.g Glenview very easy access to main road, N81 and M50, versus Old Bawn/Aylesbury, getting stuck at the lights around the Mill/Ahernes before you get near to the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Consider Palmerstown, decent area, excellent public transport, beside Liffey Valley and close to town. The dual carriageway cuts through it which I think puts some people off, so it's a bit of a 'divided' suburb which I think it's a shame, but from what I hear, it's a decent area.

Consider Inchicore and the Inchicore end of Ballyfermot as well, settled areas, older population, still good amenities and close to transport and town.

Parts of Cabra too if the budget could stretch to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Belgard and Kingswood would be where I'd look. Both really nice areas and both right on the Luas line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack if budget allows. The actual area that is still considered Kilbarrack proper and not Raheny is tiny and the name used to get you a bargain. Now it's more meh in terms of value but the DART is a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Dundalk, north county dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Howth, Malihide, Dalkey, Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Would you think about going a little further out OP? What about Shankill? Nice village and access to city centre in less than an hour via the Dart? There's some nice properties down there and similar price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It really depends on your budget OP. I presume as you mentioned the more less desired areas that it is under 300k.
    Kingswood and Belgard Heights are nice areas but prices would be at 300k +. Same applies for Old Barn and Balrothery.
    Crumlin and Drimnagh are still affordable but the houses are smaller.

Some nice houses in Kilbarrack, it’s settled area now and good transport services, dart and buses.

Also baldoyle and Bayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

As for northside, Finglas east (or what's called Glasnevin by estate agents) is grand as it's a settled area. All depends on your budget as one street can be 300k for a house and 250k a couple of streets further up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

We bought in Aylesbury. Great community, no rented houses. Commute is a bit of a mare to town though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

posy2010 wrote: »
    We bought in Aylesbury. Great community, no rented houses. Commute is a bit of a mare to town though!

Just changed job after doing it for 2 years. Driving in most days, was often an hour and a half each way. 49 and 65b and both very slow to get into town also.

posy2010 wrote:

How can you know there are no rented houses? There are rented houses everywhere. Aylesbury is a lovely area alright but that junction at Firhouse Road West meeting the Old Bawn Road is a nightmare, and the junctions on the Old Bawn Road either side of it are awful too. We're in Millbrook Lawns, smaller houses than Aylesbury and they're all terraced, but 2 minutes from the N81 via Avonbeg makes it very accessible and the 77a flies into town from here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

Don't touch sundale. It's in jobstown, rife with problems and the anti social behaviour explains why its so cheap.

West of the square ie between the square & m50 are your best bet if your set on tallaght. If it was me (and as someone who lived in tallaght for a long time) I'd go for a smaller house inside the m50 if I could at all ie crumlin/drimnagh

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Cash_Q wrote: »
    How can you know there are no rented houses? There are rented houses everywhere. Aylesbury is a lovely area alright but that junction at Firhouse Road West meeting the Old Bawn Road is a nightmare, and the junctions on the Old Bawn Road either side of it are awful too. We're in Millbrook Lawns, smaller houses than Aylesbury and they're all terraced, but 2 minutes from the N81 via Avonbeg makes it very accessible and the 77a flies into town from here too.

There is a strong community association and from other info. No houses rented to council really.

Buses are a pain in the hole though from here, you are right. 50 mins to Kevin street

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cash_Q wrote: »

Agreed.

Seskin View road towards Old Bawn in evening rush hour is a nightmare also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Prices are dropping around Drimnagh. It will come good in the long run.

posy2010 wrote:
    There is a strong community association and from other info. No houses rented to council really.

Wow I'm surprised anyone would be sharing the info if they were renting from the council or if they indeed sold to the council either. Good that you can find out stuff like that although it wouldn't sway me too much either way if I liked an area and a house in it. Good and bad neighbours are everywhere, whether renters or owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Around Dublin 15 there is great value with all the services you could want at Blanchardstown centre

• Advertisement
Advertisement