Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wi-Fi to outside office

Options
  • 26-01-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey ,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me I am looking to extend Wi-Fi in my house to an outside office I have virgin in the house and I can hardware a cable from the original router to the office but what do I need then to create a wireless connection out there ? The main router is too far from the office to pick up the Wi-Fi. Any help is much appreciated . Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Rx713B wrote: »
    Hey ,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me I am looking to extend Wi-Fi in my house to an outside office I have virgin in the house and I can hardware a cable from the original router to the office but what do I need then to create a wireless connection out there ? The main router is too far from the office to pick up the Wi-Fi. Any help is much appreciated . Many thanks

You need a wireless access point. If you happen to have a spare router from a previous ISP they can often be used to save you purchasing a new device. If not

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_c_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+access+point&sprefix=wireless+acc%2Caps%2C185&crid=19QINON4F0Q6C

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

You need a wireless access point. If you happen to have a spare router from a previous ISP they can often be used to save you purchasing a new device. If not

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_c_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+access+point&sprefix=wireless+acc%2Caps%2C185&crid=19QINON4F0Q6C

Cheers thanks a mil for the response I actually do have an old router so if I just plug it in hardwire in the line from router 1 should it just start operating or do I need to do any more ?

Again thanks a mil !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cheers thanks a mil for the response I actually do have an old router so if I just plug it in hardwire in the line from router 1 should it just start operating or do I need to do any more ?

Again thanks a mil !

No, there would be some configuration needed. Try googling " use *router model* as access point".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wifi extender or ideally use a pair of home plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

I use wireless range extender at home, easy to set up and the terminal switch between access point seamlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Again thanks a mil !

Just plug the cable coming from the house (from one of the LAN sockets in your main modem/router into the ethernet WAN socket of the office router (this is obviously if the old router has one, otherwise buy a cheap used one) and configure the router for wifi as you would on your router in the house. You will have a separate wifi network in the office then

Advertisement