Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good year/model for a BMW E46

Options
  • 26-01-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi all

looking for some assistance as the title says I'am interested in getting a BMW e46 < pre 2005 >( already have a 520i ) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good year/engine to consider ?. There appears to be good and bad engines sub 2.2 ltr mentioned on the web so just want to be sure.

thanks in advance

Brendan

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well the best engine is the 3.2 liter... :pac:

Are you specifically avoiding the 2.2/2.5/3.0? These engines and the reliability of these three engines are all very much the same. The only difference you'll notice is the tax and obviously the power increases. Even the petrol consumption is more or less the same (ie not too fantastic). As for what year to go for, again there's not a whole pile in it.

There was a facelift from 2003 I think, different front end, and rear lights with some other slight changes here and there but nothing too drastic.

I wouldn't rule out any year in particular, just look for the best car for the money, these should be cheap across the board now. There will be a lot of variability in how well maintained they are, but none will be bullet proof at this vintage. They are however simple cars to work on all considered, and parts are still easy to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

Think there is the 318i 1.9
    Bit hungry vs performance.
    325i is a good all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

thanks lads

2.2 would be the max as i already have a 2.2 520i and the 940e * 2 road tax would take a lot of explaining to SWMBO . I heard that there were some engines that had a nickel lining issue cant remember which model of engine it was ( must go off and google it now )

thanks once again

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

v240gltse wrote: »
    thanks lads

2.2 would be the max as i already have a 2.2 520i and the 940e * 2 road tax would take a lot of explaining to SWMBO . I heard that there were some engines that had a nickel lining issue cant remember which model of engine it was ( must go off and google it now )

thanks once again

brendan
    The nickel lining issue finished around 1998.
    It was in the 2.5and the 2.8. Engines I never came across the problem in the 2.0 .
    The last of the 2.0 six cylinders were made around 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Are you looking for a coupe, saloon or a touring?

The saloon and touring were facelifted at the end of 2001 and the coupe was later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Has to be a 325i really. Anything less than that seriously lacks performance. The 325 is a great compromise. Get a wagon. Those things are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I had a brand new 2002 318i with a 143bhp 2 litre petrol engine. It wasn't a rocket but it moved very nicely and handled great with reasonable fuel economy. I believe they suffered from coil problems but every car has some issue. It was my first new car and a part of me still regrets parting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The best engine for an E46 has got to be the glorious naturally aspirated straight six petrol.

I don't have any experience of the older cars (pre-2000) but I can tell you the M54 that was introduced to the E46 in 2001 is an absolute peach of an engine, I've had mine for a good bit over 2 years and I still can't get over just how smooth it is and how much fun it is to work hard, they make a delightful snarl if you run them all the way up to the redline. Even after all this time, it still puts a big smile on my face. Not for nothing did this engine make it to the Wards 10 Best Engines two years in a row back in the day.

They are the most reliable engines in the range, the cooling system is pants and they can leak oil through the rocket cover gasket or the oil filter housing gasket, but that's about it. The older cars with the M52TU engines are even more reliable but the older cars (especially pre-facelift) are more prone to tears in the rear subframe especially if you go for one with a larger engine.

As if that wasn't enough, they are very fuel efficient on a motorway or out of town considering what they are (33 actual mpg on a motorway is realistic if you stick to 120, 34 mpg is possible on main roads if you stick to 100); around town they will drink fuel, though.

The 320i is too slow, a 325i has much more low down grunt and is just much easier to live with on a day to day basis, there is no mpg penalty over the smaller engines, and tax is only €100 more.

The four cylinder petrols are either very slow (early 318is) or very unreliable (the later ones with the Valvetronic engine), although the ones after 2004 with the N46 engine are meant to be not too bad.

Don't buy one with an automatic gearbox, they sap so much power and they can give a lot of trouble, it's an all too common occurrence to see the 'cog of doom' gearbox light come on, now it can be as simple as changing the gearbox oil (it should be changed at least every 60,000 miles despite BMW's claims that it is 'sealed for life') but other times it can mean bye bye gearbox. The manual is a lovely gearbox in them, just remove the clutch delay valve and they're a delight to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Timing chains can stretch on the 318 2litre 143bhp engine from 02years onwards i think but it's a simple enough job to replace unlike n47 engines wer its a fecking nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Philb76 wrote: »
    Timing chains can stretch on the 318 2litre 143bhp engine from 02years onwards i think but it's a simple enough job to replace unlike n47 engines wer its a fecking nightmare

The timing chain is the least of anyone's worries with that engine:pac:, Valvetronic and head gaskets go on them, in fact about the only thing that doesn't give trouble on them is the cooling system (apart from the plastic expansion tank). Like any petrol BMW from that era, they can get blocked oil breathers (CCV), suffer from oil leaks through the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket, and they can burn oil, I've seen stories of owners getting just 300 miles on a litre of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Bit like a golf i had ur obviously lot more clued in than me timing chain happened to me that and the rust lot's of niggles as well owned two and have never considered buying another bmw ever lovely car's to drive and look at but am at an age now where rather sacrifice dependability over style isn't the choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The best engine for an E46 has got to be the glorious naturally aspirated straight six petrol.

I don't have any experience of the older cars (pre-2000) but I can tell you the M54 that was introduced to the E46 in 2001 is an absolute peach of an engine, I've had mine for a good bit over 2 years and I still can't get over just how smooth it is and how much fun it is to work hard, they make a delightful snarl if you run them all the way up to the redline. Even after all this time, it still puts a big smile on my face. Not for nothing did this engine make it to the Wards 10 Best Engines two years in a row back in the day.

They are the most reliable engines in the range, the cooling system is pants and they can leak oil through the rocket cover gasket or the oil filter housing gasket, but that's about it. The older cars with the M52TU engines are even more reliable but the older cars (especially pre-facelift) are more prone to tears in the rear subframe especially if you go for one with a larger engine.

As if that wasn't enough, they are very fuel efficient on a motorway or out of town considering what they are (33 actual mpg on a motorway is realistic if you stick to 120, 34 mpg is possible on main roads if you stick to 100); around town they will drink fuel, though.

The 320i is too slow, a 325i has much more low down grunt and is just much easier to live with on a day to day basis, there is no mpg penalty over the smaller engines, and tax is only €100 more.

The four cylinder petrols are either very slow (early 318is) or very unreliable (the later ones with the Valvetronic engine), although the ones after 2004 with the N46 engine are meant to be not too bad.

Don't buy one with an automatic gearbox, they sap so much power and they can give a lot of trouble, it's an all too common occurrence to see the 'cog of doom' gearbox light come on, now it can be as simple as changing the gearbox oil (it should be changed at least every 60,000 miles despite BMW's claims that it is 'sealed for life') but other times it can mean bye bye gearbox. The manual is a lovely gearbox in them, just remove the clutch delay valve and they're a delight to use.

Jaysus, reading that makes me want to got straight to Autotrader! Had 2 E34 520's back in the day and every engine since has been a let down. Sublime straight six engine, used to be THE reason to buy a BMW. Don't know what their USP is anymore.

Advertisement