Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-sleeper cribs?

Options
  • 26-01-2019 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

What are people’s opinions on co-sleepers such as the Chicco Next2me? I would never be one to co-sleep with my baby as I Have been warned it’s so much harder to get baby to move to their own cot after 6 months. I was wondering with the co-sleeper do babies become too reliant on sleeping next to mammy? Would I be better off with a standard crib/Moses basket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We had co sleeper on first and doing it now on second.

My wife is breastfeeding and outside of (frowned upon but right for many) baby in the bed, it's the only job.

Baby wakes during night for feed. Mammy from her own comfortable bed feeds and winds her. My wife at this stage will change a nappy in bed. Has a little changing unit and wipes and antibac for herself after.

In our experience baby happy beside us too.

We made sure on first to get her into habit of going down without us from the start. Doing same now on second. So baby goes down and 8.30 or 9.00 and is on their own till we go to bed at 10.30 or 11.

No 1 went from that to own cot in our room for few weeks to own cot in own room. I wont claim seamlessly but no major dramas.

No 2 and wife asleep here now happy out. Daddy should really get up to no 1 who is flat out talking to herself in her cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Babies are supposed to be close to mammy. We used a co- sleeper cot for a couple of weeks before we realised we all slept better if the baby slept in the bed with us. We moved him into the cosleeper zipped up like a cot at 4months then he went into his big cot at about 6 months. No issues either time. He was ready for the bit of space. People love giving 'advice' but ultimately, your baby will communicate what they need. Babies thrive on closeness to their parents. Our society is so funny about nurturing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have had a next to me for both ours though they still ended up in the bed beside me the odd time (safe sleeping guidelines followed). Sister used it for her two in between too. No issues transferring to the cot with the first but we were daytime napping in the cot before then. The second is only three months so who knows how it will go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Totally agree with lovinapril! Babies, especially tiny babies need to be close to their Mammies, it’s so good for them. Society is obsessed with convincing us they don’t though. Have a read up on the fourth trimester, it’s really interesting and comforting for getting through the first few months.

I only discovered the co sleeper on my second baby. It’s brilliant! I’m using it for my third now. Now both my second and third started off in the bed with me. I transitioned the second baby to the cosleeper around 3/4 months and she had no issues. She went into her cot then around 9/10 months no issue and has in fact turned out to be a super sleeper. Will do the same with this baby in a few weeks. They’re really really handy especially if breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I used a co-sleeper for my second and third babies. I used it to store my kindle, my phone, and my water bottle. Clothes too sometimes.

Both babies thought it was gas, and much preferred sleeping in with me. The co sleeper was handy though for making sure they didn’t fall out when they got a bit bigger!

Some of my older relatives consider it the root of all evil (along with breastfeeding), as though it is the reason they weren’t great sleepers. I’m not sure what caused what, but I did what kept us happy as a family, and what got me the most sleep. They all sleep in their own beds now, no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Used co-sleeper for both babies, now 3 and 1. Found it to be one of the best products I had, particularly when breastfeeding. Occasionally slept in the bed with us the first couple of weeks. Both exclusively breastfed and both moved into their own cots in their own rooms at 6 months with absolutely no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Digs wrote: »
    Have a read up on the fourth trimester, it’s really interesting and comforting for getting through the first few months.

We practiced the whole forth trimester thing and it definitely did comfort me knowing that my baby (first child) would eventually transition to not needing me as much as he did in the first few months (constant breastfeeding, only really settling in a sling, napping in my arms etc.). It is quite overwhelming. By the time he hit about 8 months there were no cuddles and nothing I could do to get him to sleep in my arms. They become independent so quickly. I am pregnant on our second baby now and will follow the forth trimester theory again. It mostly passes in a blur anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Fourth trimester ...it's true.We had a moses basket and a cot with a drop side pulled up beside the bed from about ten weeks.All babies started the night in their basket/cot at least.What happened after that was anybody's guess!!!Particularly with the second and third, they often ended up in with me /on me after a night feed.I was too scared on my first, but also I BF my 2nd and 3rd longer.As their night sleeps stretched and they fed less they naturally spent longer in their own beds.By about twelve weeks, they would do a good stretch in their own.All were shipped to their own rooms by 7/8 months (no.3 did best, he's just moved at over 8 months!!) And they are mostly good sleepers.They all napped in their cot in the bedroom from 12 weeks religiously though, never in prams or downstairs baskets.Which helped.
    Your baby-your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Found a co sleeper invaluable for the first few months. We were able to borrow them thankfully but if I had to buy one I would. We start off the night with baby asleep in the co sleeper and then usually bring them into bed for night feeds, I breastfeed lying down so the transition is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thank you all I think I have been sold on the Co-Sleeper!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Erm... I used a cosleeper for both of mine. At this moment in time I have my almost 3 year old in my bed and 1 year old in the cot beside my bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Erm... I used a cosleeper for both of mine. At this moment in time I have my almost 3 year old in my bed and 1 year old in the cot beside my bed...

Oh God - I’m sorry but that is what I am afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ours went into their own rooms at 6+ months old once they outgrew the cosleeper. No issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    Oh God - I’m sorry but that is what I am afraid of.

Children under 4 need to be as physically close to their mother as possible as much of the time as possible.

Advertisement