Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gotten keys before the official close date?!

Options
  • 26-01-2019 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Has anyone ever requested the keys of their house before they officially got a closing date 🀔 we went sale agreed end of october.. we signed for the house and mortgage and seller is eager to close as i am .. however the pricess is just so slow and my solicitor is needing another document from seller which may take another while 😭 im just so eager to get in as house is empty ? Anyone done this or heard if it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Has anyone ever requested the keys of their house before they officially got a closing date 🀔 we went sale agreed end of october.. we signed for the house and mortgage and seller is eager to close as i am .. however the pricess is just so slow and my solicitor is needing another document from seller which may take another while 😭 im just so eager to get in as house is empty ? Anyone done this or heard if it?

Relax your in the dying to move phase. That's normal.

You'll get them when all the paperwork is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭snowflake1989

listermint wrote: »
    Relax your in the dying to move phase. That's normal.

You'll get them when all the paperwork is complete.

Haha your right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

That seems extremely slow. Unless there's some particularly exotic document required there's really no need for that kind of delay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It happens sometimes. My brother had the keys of a house for a few weeks before the closing. He went in and out taking measurements and organising a skip for the rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You can, but you become a tenant and vendor will have to adapt their insurance.
    It can make things messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The house sale isn’t guaranteed until all the paperwork is signed and complete. Frustrating as it may be, you’re best advised to wait until the house is 100% yours. You don’t want to spend money now and find out in a while that the house sale fell through for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has anyone ever requested the keys of their house before they officially got a closing date

Syntax error!!

It’s not their house till it’s closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

You can request to go have a look at the house a few times if the EA allows it but there are various legal reasons that actually giving you the key before you close is not a good idea. We got our key one day before we closed as we had booked the removal people for that day, and it was a big deal to be allowed that.
    We went Sale Agreed mid September, got the keys a week ago - similar wait to what you've had. There were no real issues with our sale, it just took that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Local cowboy down from where I’m from got keys early (don’t ask) he had been in and tore down walls and started ripping out kitchens and bathrooms. His solicitor got wind and nearly lost his marbles. Your lad genuinely thought he was allowed work away.

Big no no from what I’m aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

So many reasons not to give keys out before closing. So. Many! Biggest is insurance. If the future new owner does something that leads to say, fire. Who is liable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yes it can be done and I have done it but your in very precarious position that I wouldn't recommend to anyone who can avoid it. A Care Taker Agreement is normally drawn up detailing the relationship. The potential for disaster for both parties is high if you're not careful.

Advertisement