Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Disconnecting

Options
  • 25-01-2019 11:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Weird one for ye, last week I noticed the wifi was disconnecting and reconnecting every so often but it would be grand on some devices but gone on others etc its been worse than ever tonight, haven't had a stable connection since about 4 o clock but it somehow always resolves itself and will be grand then for long periods of time, when it does happen one device connects another disconnects, we have a pc plugged directly into the modem and I'm pretty that it never disconnects its only the wifi, I noticed in the wifi list that there was another vodafone modem nearby that wasn't there before,I'm guessing a neighbour has gotten vodafone in, is it possible that this could be causing interferance with our own modem?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

WiFi is disconnected now from my phone but the desktop is connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Download a WiFi analyser to check the channels in use between yourself and your neighbour.

I can recommend WiFiAnalyzer on Android and NetSpot on Windows or Mac.

https://www.netspotapp.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How would I know if its 2.4 or 5GHz?

How would I know if its 2.4 or 5GHz?

The previous mentioned apps should confirm either way.

I downloaded netspot, It 2.4, tbh I can't follow this program at all, what am I looking for? connection is grand now again for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Try changing the channel number on the modem/router. Pick 1, 6 or 11 and see how it goes.

I downloaded netspot, It 2.4, tbh I can't follow this program at all, what am I looking for? connection is grand now again for the moment.

On the Discover page you should see a list of WiFi networks that are in range of your device. Their names are the SSID. Your own should be among them as should your neighbours. Check the Channel that your network and your neighbours network is using. Is it the same?

Also have you only one WiFi device broadcasting in your home (your ISP router)? What router is it and who is your ISP?

Advertisement