Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla advice.

Options
  • 25-01-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

My daughter is thinking of purchasing a 2011 Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4D with 200000kms on clock. She will be dealing with a main dealer and hopefully a full service history will be available but if not i was wondering what things she should be asking about. For instance should she ask for timing belt to be changed or is it a chain. Any advice for her would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭shane b

Has she purchased the car since or is she still looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Still looking at the moment. The one she was looking at was sold

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭shane b

My wife had an 11 terra model corrolla diesel which she traded in October 18. She put 85k kms on it in the 3 yrs she had it and it returned about 18 km/L.
    They have timing chains rather than belts. The only thing we had to be mindful of was the DPF. We noticed a recurring issue with the oil maintenance light coming on and increasing oil levels. Garage at first didnt realise that was the issue. Turns out the last portion of my wife's journey to work is sitting on traffic and and sometimes the regeneration cycle would have started and not fully completed.
    Although no one else seemed to have the same issue with their corrolla.

Once i hear dpf I see nothing but problems and money . Have an 08 Corolla myself and in 6 years apart from general servicing haven't had no issues. I would say probably the best car I ever owned. What year did the Corolla get the dpf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

2009 on for dpf,

• Advertisement

Has anyone any info or experience with the petrol Corollas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

My daughter is thinking of purchasing a 2011 Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4D with 200000kms on clock. She will be dealing with a main dealer and hopefully a full service history will be available but if not i was wondering what things she should be asking about. For instance should she ask for timing belt to be changed or is it a chain. Any advice for her would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gearboxes gave trouble in some of those.

Bearings in them went i believe.

If you searh boards you will find more information

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I had one it was a Luna d4d 2008 1.4 I was on my third reconditioned gear box by 2015

Very soft gear boxes in them, like lead I'm told.

Up along the gear boxes weren't changed, the 4th gear was always a problem.

200,000 is a lot of mileage

Bought a new 2.0 Passat estate after, no compromise.

Thanks lads. Beginning to think it's the luck of the draw, as I said have a Corolla 08 1.4 d4d nearly 250000 kms and never looked at apart from service and brakes. Hopefully not jinxing myself now. Daughter and partner looking for car advice and only going on my own experience of Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Thanks lads. Beginning to think it's the luck of the draw, as I said have a Corolla 08 1.4 d4d nearly 250000 kms and never looked at apart from service and brakes. Hopefully not jinxing myself now. Daughter and partner looking for car advice and only going on my own experience of Corolla.

The gearbox in the Corolla saloon is a little more robust than the Auris, the Auris gearbox is made in Poland where as the corolla gearbox is made in Japan I believe.

I would go with a civic petrol of that age or a prius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

Has anyone any info or experience with the petrol Corollas.

I have a 2011 petrol and have had no problems. However, I do very low mileage so that doesn't mean much. Fuel economy is very good, 6.7 to 6.8 l per 100k in mostly city driving.

Advertisement