Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies you would watch just because

Options
  • 25-01-2019 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭

someone in particular was in them.

No matter how bad the ratings I'll always give a TV show or movie a go if there are a few actors I like in it.

Anything with Mads Mikkelsen, William Fitchner, Olivia Coleman, Nicole Walker, Anthony Hopkins, Benico Del Toro, Javier Bardem, Tim Roth, Gary Oldman. Just a few off the top of my head. And Danny Dyer of course.

Which begs the question what would you not contemplating watching because of who is in it ? Despite great reviews.

I remember not liking Denzel Washington at all for some reason then I saw some film he was in, can't even remember which one and now he's one of my favourite actors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm the opposite. I've never watched, or avoided, and film or TV programme for an actor. Story is probably the most important thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Julia Roberts

Hard to believe its 30 years since I fell in love 💟💟💟

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I used to think Denzel Washington was like a seal of approval on a movie. It indicated a certain standard below which a movie would not fall.

Unfortunately this hasn't held true for a few years now.

Tim Robbins in the 90's was another one - every movie he was in or involved with I liked so I began to associate his name on the movie poster with an 'I'm going to enjoy this film' feeling.

Then Mission to Mars came out and ruined all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I'll keep an eye on projects from several actors/actresses I like but I'd say the only one left with a 'this movie will definitely be great if he's in it' reputation is DiCaprio so I'll for sure watch whatever he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Director's mainly - Kevin Smith, Tarantino, Fincher, Nolan etc - would be what draws me to a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No definitely not as every actor has made a turkey. Some out of ill judgement or poor direction which they had no control over or others who are just cashing in and ruining their previous fantastic acting legacy such as Robert de Niro.

Opposite can apply for me though in that I'd be turned off a film because they're in it. Generally can't watch anything with Jennifer Aniston in it and Meryl Streep turns me off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

I tend to avoid all Will Smith films if that counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

El Duda wrote: »

And his music

Tom hanks, Denzel washington, Di caprio and Morgan freeman.

I avoid every single film the rock is in. All are pure muck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Directors will turn my eye, but not actors. The former will tend to pick & choose their projects, maybe bring a stylistic or tonal consistency to their work; actors can just show up for the money. For instance, I love Michael Caine & think him a living legend, but I have never deliberately watched The Swarm or Jaws: The Revenge :)

(Mind you, I sometimes avoid a film because of an actors presence; 'starring Johnny Depp' will certainly make me think twice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

turdball wrote: »
    And his music

Nah, i'll happily get jiggy with it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Guffy

Will Smith.

Bright.

Say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

El Duda wrote: »

I can't look at anything with him in it. Same goes for Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Sandra Bullock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart. And another who has recently been added to the list is Shouting L Jackson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I can't look at anything with him in it. Same goes for ... Hugh Grant
    But... but... what about Paddington 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Gene Hackman.

A consummate pro who could make turds like Superman 4, Extreme Measures actually watchable.

Of active actors anything involving Keira Knightley I will happily watch ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Directors will turn my eye, but not actors. The former will tend to pick & choose their projects, maybe bring a stylistic or tonal consistency to their work; actors can just show up for the money. For instance, I love Michael Caine & think him a living legend, but I have never deliberately watched The Swarm or Jaws: The Revenge :)

(Mind you, I sometimes avoid a film because of an actors presence; 'starring Johnny Depp' will certainly make me think twice)

Some bad choices but films like Ed Wood, Benny and Joon, Edwardscissors Hands, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, Dead Man, Once Upon a Time in Mexico , and more, proved his acting skills. A very diverse selection of characters. But a lot of people think Depps career began with the Pirates movies. It began a lot earlier than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Heckler wrote: »
    Some bad choices but films like Ed Wood, Benny and Joon, Edwardscissors Hands, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, Dead Man, Once Upon a Time in Mexico , and more, proved his acting skills. A very diverse selection of characters. But a lot of people think Depps career began with the Pirates movies. It began a lot earlier than that.

Im aware of his CV, and he was always an eclectic actor to begin with, but somewhere around Pirates he just ... started trying too hard. Stiff acting and an over reliance on prosthetics and wigs; Black Mass was the nadir, an otherwise decent film somewhat sullied by Depp in distracting "horror" makeup. To paraphrase the famous Laurence Olivier quote, I wonder has he thought of just acting? Public Enemies is the last good film I can think of where he wasn't ... well, acting like a fool. He's a plank of wood with a contact lens and dye job in the Fantastic Beasts series.

Im aware of his CV, and he was always an eclectic actor to begin with, but somewhere around Pirates he just ... started trying too hard. Stiff acting and an over reliance on prosthetics and wigs; Black Mass was the nadir, an otherwise decent film somewhat sullied by Depp in distracting "horror" makeup. To paraphrase the famous Laurence Olivier quote, I wonder has he thought of just acting? Public Enemies is the last good film I can think of where he wasn't ... well, acting like a fool. He's a plank of wood with a contact lens and dye job in the Fantastic Beasts series.

Theres a great quote from Olivier to Hoffman about method acting. in essence it was "Just try acting".

You can blame a lot of directors on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

valoren wrote: »
    Gene Hackman.

A consummate pro who could make turds like Superman 4, Extreme Measures actually watchable.

Of active actors anything involving Keira Knightley I will happily watch ;).

Hackman is one of the best actors to play a villian ever.

• Advertisement

The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Heckler wrote: »
    Theres a great quote from Olivier to Hoffman about method acting. in essence it was "Just try acting".

That's clearly the quote pixelburp is referencing! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Don't think there's any actor who would induce me to go see a movie without first checking out the story, director etc.
    There are on the other hand a few who when I see their name attached to a project I can pretty much guarantee I won't be going to see it. The ultimate being of course Steven Seagal, whose movies I have managed to avoid ever since walking out of "Hard To Kill" many many years ago.

Advertisement