Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband Speeds!!!

Options
  • 24-01-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi,

Hope im posting in the right area.
    I have Three mobile broadband that up until mid December was brilliant (avg 20mb in the evening). Now it is pityful with speeds ranging from 0.5mb to 5mb in the evening. Morning are super at 60mb.
    I contacted Three support and for a week they had me changing setting, resetting the modem. It would work for an evening then return to normal. Netflix and Now TV are my main TV and are unusable with this service. Using my Vodafone mobile with 3g just about runs Netflix.
    I was onto Three again this and was told my 3.9mb was a good speed. I am in contract till November and dont want to be paying for a service that dont work. I Eir landline could give me 5mb.
    Comreg have said they wont help, so i dont know what way to turn.
    Have i any options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

3 is not broadband it's midband. More people in your area are obviously using the local 3 mast providing your signal now ( this is called contention) than in mid December, so the download speed has decreased significantly. The fact that the speed returns to being good in the morning, when people will be at work/school and not using the 3 mast that delivers your signal, is a clear sign of that. Nothing 3 can do and nothing you can do. I'd rather use the reliable 5mb fixed line eir broadband than relying on completely unpredictable midband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

One thing I have found is that their speeds on 4G can be poor but most of the time when that happens I switch over to 3G and the speed is way better, have you tried doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

RHJ wrote: »
    One thing I have found is that their speeds on 4G can be poor but most of the time when that happens I switch over to 3G and the speed is way better, have you tried doing that?

This right here. Since Tesco mobile got 4g in the evenings the speeds are shocking.
    Every now and then the speeds will be great. I've found 3g to be consistent enough.
    Also if you've being using the service heavily I think they will throttle your speed.
    (They say they don't, but I've found after a heavy download they do.)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Thanks for all the replies.
    I will to change to 3g this evening and see if that helps.
    Does anyone know what my rights are at this stage with the Three contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

jod1983 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I will to change to 3g this evening and see if that helps.
    Does anyone know what my rights are at this stage with the Three contract?
    It will help for now until more people will change to 3G, then You'll be back where you started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Well, unfortunately the 3g was worse. In a rut now with them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Could you share a line with a neighbour?

Advertisement