Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 Series MSport(2014-2010 model)

Options
  • 24-01-2019 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Right, so my car passed the NCT, but they never locate the suspension problem I have, that I would fix but I don’t know what it is.

When I drive on a motorway or smooth road, I feel every bump, almost like I’m driving over some small stones on a smooth road. This is constant, and driving me crazy, and almost makes me travel sick, which I don’t get. Car should be smooth to drive, and just isn’t at all. Friends and family in the car also ask what it is, but I have no clue.

Before NCT I changed front links(both sides).

Please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just to check, your tyre pressure is what it should be yeah?
    If it's too high the car will become incredibly bumpy to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

biko wrote: »
    Just to check, your tyre pressure is what it should be yeah?
    If it's too high the car will become incredibly bumpy to drive.

Tyre pressures are good all round, 34 on each corner, factory recommended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

What mileage is on it? Could be worn shocks? Has the bottom of a coil spring broken somewhere?

What mileage is on it? Could be worn shocks? Has the bottom of a coil spring broken somewhere?

172k miles. However, over speed bumps car seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Had something similar on a e60 2006 M-sport - constant knocking over bumps that I couldn’t locate. After much searching it turned out to be the strut brace bolts were loose in the engine compartment.

Torx bolts if I remember correctly - 2 outside ones easy to get at, 2 center ones at the bull head a bitch. Lucky enough for me it was just the outside ones loose.

Tightened the both of them no more then a full turn and never had an issue again..

• Advertisement

Had something similar on a e60 2006 M-sport - constant knocking over bumps that I couldn’t locate. After much searching it turned out to be the strut brace bolts were loose in the engine compartment.

Torx bolts if I remember correctly - 2 outside ones easy to get at, 2 center ones at the bull head a bitch. Lucky enough for me it was just the outside ones loose.

Tightened the both of them no more then a full turn and never had an issue again..

I know these brace bolts alright, I had removed the braces when changing the air filter, however, after checking these, they are all tight, not budging at all.

Further symptoms that I should have mentioned are when I apply the brakes, the steering wheel shakes aggressively, at all speeds.
    I changed the pads and discs last year, however, even after changing them the car wasn't too bad too drive.

Is there some suspension/steering component that I should be looking at?

Advertisement