Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronda Rousey Thread

Options
  • 24-01-2019 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭

WON saying Ronda might be finished with WWE after Wrestlemania.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

J. Marston wrote: »
    WON saying Ronda might be finished with WWE after Wrestlemania.

I saw that rumored before because she wants to start a family but I always thought they would get another year out of her at least given the company bringing in the rest of her MMA horsewoman and having not got to a Horsewomen vs Horsewomen feud yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meltzer seems to be saying it cause her contract was only a 1 year contract.

You'd have to imagine she'd switch to a "Brock" style contract, and appear less frequently. Mind, if she wants to have kids, that will go out the window too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

She was also apparently taken aback at the scale of the schedule etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Is she doing a full road schedule though ? I was under the impression she was doing more than brock but less than the full timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is she doing a full road schedule though ? I was under the impression she was doing more than brock but less than the full timers.

I thought the same dude.

I've seen her at house shows etc too though, so I'm not too sure. Is she on Raw each week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

Could see a 4 horsewomen angle for Summerslam and her with a reduced schedule for it and then maybe letting her step away to start a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cagematch.net says she has competed 51 times since her debut. 32 house shows, 11 Raws and 8 PPVs. That's only matches though, she has appeared on a lot of Raws.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It was always a 1 year deal. Ric Flair let the cat out of the bag shortly after she signed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

WWE announced it as a multi-year deal at the time although yeah I do remember Flair referencing it being only one year.

Personally I think she will take her first loss at Mania, putting over someone (Becky hopefully) strong then go away for a little while a la Brock after a big loss, before returning having resigned for another year but this time on a reduced schedule (probably cutting out the house shows).

I see her being there when Smackdown goes to ESPN, when Shayna gets called up to the main roster and having The Horsewomen vs Horsewomen match either at Survivor Series or Mania next year. After that however I think she would feel she has done what she wanted to in the company and did right by her friends and would be ready to head off into the sunset to start a family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

this over the crying goat video?think people got wrong idea from it as ive seen pop up last fortnite.from what ive seen she was explaining how life is tough on road.wwe seems to wanting more social media out of her and the video was just a explanation not a heart felt im tired and might leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is it not just typical contract rumour stuff? Like when Lesnar's deal was running out the last few times. I personally think she'll do a second full year and then probably leave.

She's only 31, plenty of time for having a family yet there.

Even if she does, a juggle around of the women's rosters post-Mania will still keep them competitive.

I'd prefer to see Becky go to Raw and Baszler come up to feud with her. But it'll probably be Charlotte :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

This is probably as good a thread as any, how would people say she’s done in her time in WWE to date?

I’d have to say very well all in all, certainly much better than I expected. And it’s to her credit that she has shown up for a lot of house shows and most Raws. I’m sure she could have negotiated a Brock type deal.

Necro wrote: »
    Is it not just typical contract rumour stuff? Like when Lesnar's deal was running out the last few times. I personally think she'll do a second full year and then probably leave.

She's only 31, plenty of time for having a family yet there.

Even if she does, a juggle around of the women's rosters post-Mania will still keep them competitive.

I'd prefer to see Becky go to Raw and Baszler come up to feud with her. But it'll probably be Charlotte :/

I agree,Look at renee ,natti etc etc. They all had kids whilst on road,wouldn't it be against law if she had to stop her contract fully to have kids?doubt WWE are that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

some more information all seems to be a might leave at this stage

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/details-ronda-rousey-not-leaving-wwe/#.XEn89Vz7QuV

sky88 wrote: »

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/details-ronda-rousey-not-leaving-wwe/#.XEn89Vz7QuV

The goat that got killed by a coyote was the family she was away from, "she btl fed it since birth on her ranch,it was her family and she wasn't around wen it happened", as I said it's all tabloid taken out of context LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mcdaids69 wrote:
    I agree,Look at renee ,natti etc etc. They all had kids whilst on road.....

Wuh???
    I'm pretty sure neither have kids.
    Maryse & Maria had kids but haven't been on TV much since.
    sky88 wrote:

If she decides to have a family it ain't exactly a short term thing. I imagine they're politely encouraging her not to go before the new TV deal starts.
    I didn't expect her to be on TV as much as she has been and it m feels like diminishing returns when she appears more. The fans aren't tuning back in for her matches but she is a big name for FOX in particular.

Pentecost wrote: »
    This is probably as good a thread as any, how would people say she’s done in her time in WWE to date?

I’d have to say very well all in all, certainly much better than I expected. And it’s to her credit that she has shown up for a lot of house shows and most Raws. I’m sure she could have negotiated a Brock type deal.

I think she has done very well. Her matches seem to be very well planned out and rehearsed( didn't hurt Macho man or DDP) but you can see the natural ability she has for wrestling which is rare. She reminds me or kurt angle and Brock Lesnar in how easy they took to pro wrestling.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wuh???

If she decides to have a family it ain't exactly a short term thing. I imagine they're politely encouraging her not to go before the new TV deal starts.
    I didn't expect her to be on TV as much as she has been and it m feels like diminishing returns when she appears more. The fans aren't tuning back in for her matches but she is a big name for FOX in particular.

Asuka has a kid apparently. I don’t know why it should be different for the women v all the men on the roster with kids but it does seem to be rare that the women are the ones on the road.

Wuh???
    Maryse & Maria had kids.

Sorry mixed up the miz missus with Renee,and always thought nattie had husband kids etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Has brought a genuine credibility to the women's division, elevated pretty much anyone she came in contact with, had some really good matches (often against opponents not typically capable of having good matches).

If she leaves but puts over Becky in the process, she will also be a massive part of creating a new top level star, something Brock hasn't done in his years there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pentecost wrote:
    I don't know why it should be different for the women v all the men on the roster with kids but it does seem to be rare that the women are the ones on the road.

Well women carry the child for 9 months so in ring competition is an obvious no. They could also choose to breastfeed their child after birth too, go for scans, classes & maybe put up with baby blues. Basically a guy could miss shows in circumstances but a woman has to miss time in many obvious ways.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Has brought a genuine credibility to the women's division, elevated pretty much anyone she came in contact with, had some really good matches (often against opponents not typically capable of having good matches).

If she leaves but puts over Becky in the process, she will also be a massive part of creating a new top level star, something Brock hasn't done in his years there.

For Lynch to be top level she has to move the needle in ratings or attendance better than even Ronda managed. Even if she beats Ronda I don't see her being a top star in the current system where nobody feels like a top star even when they have world titles.
    I'd also argue the credibility thing was earned before Ronda showed up as women had main evented PPV's & TV. It's also not too credible when she rehearses matches beforehand rather than the normal route of learning to wrestle then calling spots in the ring. People will say Randy Savage did it but he was doing the layout of the match not rehearsing it; he was a superior performer than most of the guys he was wrestling with.

Asuka has a kid apparently. I don’t know why it should be different for the women v all the men on the roster with kids but it does seem to be rare that the women are the ones on the road.

She does ? I have literally seen nothing about asuka and her life outside the ring bar her age and she's from Japan.

Well women carry the child for 9 months so in ring competition is an obvious no. They could also choose to breastfeed their child after birth too, go for scans, classes & maybe put up with baby blues. Basically a guy could miss shows in circumstances but a woman has to miss time in many obvious ways.

Yeah of professions that aren't woman friendly in terms of the physicality and the travel(most jobs you might have long hours but you sleep at home every night) pro wrestling may be one of if not the worst. I'm not saying it can't be done but it can't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

She does ? I have literally seen nothing about asuka and her life outside the ring bar her age and she's from Japan.

Only heard that yesterday never hear anything about the Japanese wrestlers families I think nakamura has a family but never hear or see them compared to American wrestlers

sky88 wrote: »
    Only heard that yesterday never hear anything about the Japanese wrestlers families I think nakamura has a family but never hear or see them compared to American wrestlers

Well only that nakamura said it on Jerichos podcast that he moved his family to the US when he moved to WWE, I'd have had no idea he had a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    I agree,Look at renee ,natti etc etc. They all had kids whilst on road,wouldn't it be against law if she had to stop her contract fully to have kids?doubt WWE are that bad
    Wuh???

Natalya has no kids

I would like to see how Ronda would fair as a heel, she sometimes comes across weak on the mic but to give her credit she has done very well and seems to love the business

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

WWE statement.

"Ronda Rousey is under contract with WWE until April 10, 2021. Whether she wants to start a family is a private matter.”

Seems she just signed a new deal.

Absolutely fair points. I suppose I meant when the kids are that bit bigger and not as dependent on the mother to look after them.

Yeah a daughter about 10/11 kind of age I think.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The problem with this mentality is that you're talking about someone who (at the time) had no real match experience. Rehearsing would be a handy way for a rookie to get their feet wet without any overly major/embarassing flubs as it's all planned and people know how to go about it and just have to keep cues in mind, as opposed to shot-calling on the fly and trying to piece things together that way (which you would expect of veterans). I don't think this should be seen as a detriment unless this level of choreography became very in-ring obvious, but let's face it, even if you put two wrestlers in the ring at this stage with 'decide a finish' only, a lot of them will still end up looking the same. Sometimes they are also given very little time to achieve a desired result, so planning ahead can lead to better use of time.

Ultimately, I haven't seen a truly 'bad' Ronda match thus far - so as long as it's working it'd be crazy to give it up if it's working. That Ronda/Charlotte match for example, reminded me a lot of the Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels match at WM24, and the latter is totally ring-general making the match in-ring, with the former likely having some rehearsal to it.

As for Ronda herself, duck to water -- her major issue is still (obviously) overcoming fan perception and learning to not take things too personally, which would be easier to do if they turn her a heel so that it is her job to generate heat and get boo'd. Having said that, it must still be jarring when your only experience is as a face - and the crowd still boo the hell out of you for seemingly no reason at all. You have to feel sorry for her to some degree, but as said, some heel experience should help take the edge off.

I used the Randy Savage example and maybe it was unfair to Ronda to compare her to Savage. I don't know why macho man used to plan his matches out like he did. He came into the wrestling business in the mid 1970's where planning matches out wasn't the done thing. You were giving the finish and who was winning and the wrestlers worked it out from there. He was just gifted in ring though so it helped him. The thing with planning out matches is that like you say they have to remember what order things are meant to go in, and the problem seems to be if one forgets then the match can go to ****.

Advertisement