Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle route suggestions

Options
  • 24-01-2019 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start cycling to work just as soon as the weather gets a tiny bit better but I'm unsure what is the best route to avoid the worst of the traffic/potholes/blind car drivers.
    I'll be cycling from Sutton to Ballsbridge.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

obviously most of the route is a no-brainer, but what works for me (where my route and yours might coincide) is crossing the east link rather than the beckett bridge - with the caveat that i'm usually crossing the east link at about 7am. i don't like cardiff lane/beckett bridge in the evening.

in the mornings, i stay on the road at the east link and head through the tolls out onto strand road; in the evening i head into ringsend, right at the church and drop onto the east link at the pedestrian access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why wait? ;)

I'd use the Sutton to Sandymount Bike track, cross over the East Link bridge and then head up Bath Avenue to ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

I go Sutton-clontarf cycleway, Alfie Byrne, East Wall road and over the east link. Very rarely (if ever) any issues with traffic - that starts southside!! I duck into Ringsend at the gap in the wall after the East Link which helps, the run to Ballsbridge is easy from that point on but there is little cycling infrastructure so you need to cycle defensively, take the lane etc. Its very doable, a large percentage of the commute is on off-road cycleway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Going out to sandymiunt yiu should use the Samuel Beckett bridge and going hone use the east link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Ferris wrote: »
    I go Sutton-clontarf cycleway, Alfie Byrne, East Wall road and over the east link. Very rarely (if ever) any issues with traffic - that starts southside!! I duck into Ringsend at the gap in the wall after the East Link which helps, the run to Ballsbridge is easy from that point on but there is little cycling infrastructure so you need to cycle defensively, take the lane etc. Its very doable, a large percentage of the commute is on off-road cycleway.

I do exactly the same as far as Ringsend. defensive / assertive cycling is a must, especially across the East link. I do this route to get to Leeson st as I far prefer it to Amiens st / Samuel Beckett bridge options owing to both traffic volumes & motorist aggression levels (probably related)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement