Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor requesting LPT log in details rejects PAN

Options
  • 24-01-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm selling my non ppr. I'm not currently resident in the state. My LPT and NPPR are up to date.

My solicitor is requesting my PIN for LPT. They already have my PPSN and Property ID. I have given them the PAN (Property Access Number). Isn't that's all that is required?

Shouldn't the solicitor already be familiar with this?

Normally I don't give passwords and PINs away. It does not sound like normal procedure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Normally all i had to do was print out what i can view on the lpt site snd this is enough to satisfy them with buying or selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Fol20 wrote: »
    Normally all i had to do was print out what i can view on the lpt site snd this is enough to satisfy them with buying or selling.

This is all I had to do as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The pin is the password, you need it to log in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

I'm selling my non ppr. I'm not currently resident in the state. My LPT and NPPR are up to date.

My solicitor is requesting my PIN for LPT. They already have my PPSN and Property ID. I have given them the PAN (Property Access Number). Isn't that's all that is required?

Shouldn't the solicitor already be familiar with this?

Normally I don't give passwords and PINs away. It does not sound like normal procedure.

A solicitor can request pin to gain full access(It’s not unusual)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

It is unusual, its a breach of GDPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Stanford wrote: »
    Not according to revenue:
    You, as the seller, can provide your solicitor or the buyer's solicitor with access to the General Clearance by giving them the following details:

your PPSN
    the property ID
    the Property Access Number (PAN).

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/selling-buying-or-transferring-a-property/how-to-obtain-general-clearance.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

It's not a breach if I give them permission but why would I when there is a PAN for this process which gives them just the required access. So yeah, it does seem to be a breach of GDPR.

Giving them my PIN would give access to my enquiries with Revenue, and bank account details saved on site. The PAN would only give access to the payment history and nothing else. You should only share the minimum details necessary for the transaction.

They could in theory change my bank details for refunds.

Text copied from the LPT site right from the history
    Section 126 of the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012 (as amended) obliges a liable person who is selling a residential property to pay any local property tax (LPT), interest and penalties that are due in respect of the property before completion of the sale. To facilitate the conveyancing process, section 128 of this Act obliges the Revenue Commissioners to confirm to a liable person, or a person acting on his or her behalf in connection with the sale of the residential property, the amount of any unpaid local property tax, interest and penalties at the date of the sale or, alternatively, that there are no outstanding amounts payable. Any unpaid liability remains a charge on the property following the sale. The Revenue Commissioners are complying with the requirements of section 128 by making the necessary information available in electronic format.

To access this information you must obtain a Property Access Number (PAN). You can do this by clicking on the relevant button on the screen. You can then use your Property Access Number, in conjunction with the Property ID and your PPSN, to access the property history online screen in respect of the property being sold. While the Revenue Commissioners are precluded by data protection legislation from providing details of your LPT liability to third parties such as your Solicitor or the Solicitor acting for the purchaser of your property, you may choose to do so by providing these three numbers to such third parties to allow them to access the property history screen. Owners should advise any joint owners of their property that they have provided the PAN, along with the other numbers, to their solicitor/agent.

You should be aware that in providing a third party with the Property Access Number (Property ID and PPSN) you are effectively authorising him or her to access your LPT record. The purpose of such access is to facilitate the conveyance of the property by identifying any outstanding LPT liability that must be discharged before the completion of the sale to the satisfaction of the purchaser and his or her Solicitor.

The information available on the property history screen contains a summary report in respect of each year of the LPT liability, the amount paid, any balance outstanding and any interest or penalty, if relevant. As this information is accessed in electronic format it is capable of being down loaded or printed.

I logged in and printed the history as a pdf file which they can use. Yes that was acceptable in the end without having to give them my PIN.

In the meantime I did find a guide for solicitor's on the revenue site.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/documents/lpt/solicitors-property-history.pdf

I thought it would be too cheeky to send it them, telling them how to do their job. Doesn't put much faith in the people handling my sale though.

I'm curious to hear that this seems to be common practice to share the PIN and not PAN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Stanford wrote: »

Stop it will you. Nonsense.

I do it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Stop it will you. Nonsense.

I do it daily.

Why do you not use the PAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

Using the PAN simply takes longer as you have to be logged into ROS to do so. With the Pin number the solicitor can log onto the LPT online which is a bit quicker. Also the PIN number is only applicable for the LPT online, not for your other taxes, afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement