Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Broadband Availability Info in house adverts

Options
  • 24-01-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Why is it that house adverts will talk about all sorts of amenities of a property and its locality, but seem to always omit any mention of its internet connection possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

funkyuser wrote: »
    Why is it that house adverts will talk about all sorts of amenities of a property and its locality, but seem to always omit any mention of its internet connection possibility?

Why would it, it’s not a requirement like BER. You can easily check availability online. And if in any major town or city you should have all the usuals providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭funkyuser

Why would it ...

Because its important info, to some people its more important than the roads they love to talk about.
    ... it’s not a requirement like BER ...

I don't think important info should be omitted from adverts just because its not required ...do you really think that? Maybe broadband and internet connection isnt so important to you?
    .. You can easily check availability online ...

I don't think its that easy, not as easy as checking the roads in the locality. I don't trust those online broadband checkers. Why not just include the info that almost every buyer wants to know?
    ... And if in any major town or city you should have all the usuals providers ...

People buy houses outside of towns ..and what about the edge of towns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You asked a question I gave you an answer. That’s the way 99% of this placing ads think. What’s important to you isn’t important to majority of people. I’ve no more to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I agree OP, from my point of view they should include it as online checkers are not accurate.

I've another very good question: Why the surface of the land/garden is not specified?
    They tend to mention only when gardens are really big, but you're buying the garden as well, you need to know the size of the land!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

For rural properties this would be a huge consideration now and will become even more so in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

EAs are luddites. Basically.
    How High-Speed Fiber Can Increase Your Home’s Value

In a recent study, researchers at the University of Colorado and Carnegie Mellon University studied about half a million home sales from 2011 to 2013. They investigated the relationship between broadband connections, such as fiber, and house prices. They found that access to fiber internet added 3.1% to the value of a home. The median home value used in the study was $175,000. The 3.1% increase would be an additional $5,437 to the median value. That is equal to adding a full fireplace or a half bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

OP... absolutley agree ! . you often find information given regarding proximity to schools, anenities etc . When my son & his girlfriend were househunting lately
    BB availability/speed was a main requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It mighn’t add huge value to the property but not having a good connection would rule out a lot of buyers, assuming they check of course.

There was a thread on her a few years ago started by a web developer who moved to rural Wicklow or Wexford I can’t remember which. Both he and his wife had both planned to work from home but unbelievably they never checked the availability of broadband services before they bought!! Of course it wasn’t what they hoped for and the purchase was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It absolutely should be.
    When we bought in rural Wicklow we checked online what's out there and several providers claimed to offer broadband only to find out that in our area all but one actually don't because the owner of the infrastructure doesn't have a contract with the other providers in that area to use their infrastructure.
    So company X uses company Y's infrastructure in urban areas and online it says X offers broadband when they don't in your very location.

Quite annoying since we're having the choice of one provider who's notorious for being awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

This was very important for us last year when we were buying. That and phone coverage. We did a lot of research on providers online for all the houses we viewed. A lot were taken off our list because they would never get decent speeds. In the end we bought a house that was on the Rural 300K (NOT the NBP, that's too risky). We were 6 months with mobile broadband and have had fibre installed this week (was available for the last couple of months but not with the provider we wanted).

Very happy we considered this a must-have. Should definitely be mentioned in the ads. It's easy to do a bit of reconnaissance when viewing though - see what type of modem they have, open your phone's wifi list to see what's there (most people don't change name and that usually has the provider in it), and ask the estate agent what the story is. Also check for a dish outside that could be lightnet or something. And check the rural 300K rollout with the eircode.

• Advertisement

You asked a question I gave you an answer. That’s the way 99% of this placing ads think. What’s important to you isn’t important to majority of people. I’ve no more to say.

I think you will find that broadband is important to the vast majority of people particularly when buying in a rural area or small town as there is no guarantees on avabiability like in a larger urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Ive seen broadband details on a number of rural adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Broadband availability is more important than gas.

Electric > broadband > everything else.

Currently living on a new build estate and trying to get Eir to play ball and run fibre is like pulling teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

When I was selling my apartment last year I had to make sure my EA put in all the details of the available broadband.
    I felt that, with the UPC & fibre to the home lines available, these would be selling points to certain people looking to buy an apartment.
    The EA wouldn't have bothered unless I had mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I'm living in an area without broadband and was able to check easily using this - https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Not hard to check in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A lot of them also list "cable television" which subsequently turns out to be sky.

Broadband is also a HUGE issue for apartments. You'd be surprised at how many of them in Dublin and Cork haven't got access to Virgin Media for example due to shortsighted decisions taken by developers in the early 2000s

Advertisement