Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked hob

Options
  • 24-01-2019 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

We viewed a property today and it seems pretty OK but I did notice that the hob of the cooker is a bit of a state. The glass is smashed around one of the rings and there is a crack going straight across the ring. After a Google it seems that that is fairly dangerous because liquid could get down through the cracks and cause electrical shock or be a fire hazard.
    We asked the letting agent if anything would be done with the hob but she said that she couldn't see the landlord doing anything about it.
    Isn't he obliged to have it repaired/replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As a landlord I’d say give it a miss. If agent is saying landlord wouldn’t do anything you can imagine what will happen if something else goes wrong. It may be just agent isn’t bothered or she knows from experience landlord won’t bother.

Well landlord is obliged to provide 4 working ring hob. Technically it might be working but still a danger. As I said give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Im with the above poster. If they wont fix that, how much is a new hob? €160? Then what will they fix?

Seems mad, I know, but if you like the place, and its a concern, you could always replace it yourself (get an electrician to do it for you). You can always take it away again afterwards if you hold onto the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Thanks very much. I was thinking it myself that if he won't fix something potentially dangerous then it might be best to avoid. It's good to hear it from others because I thought I might be over reacting.

Advertisement