Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Pay and Display

Options
  • 23-01-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Guys,

Struggling to get a clear answer on this one. Are we allowed to park bikes in pay and display spaces if we use the parkingtag app to pay for it ?

There may be no clear answer out there but worth asking :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I spoke to a warden about this once and he said as long as you park properly and not cause an obstruction then you don't need a tiicket. (For the obvious reason ie whats to stop someone taking it off your bike?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Same as UrbebFret, I was in town the other day and asked one of them.

He said so long as you're parked either in a spot, a bike spot or on the pavement and not causing any obstructions, you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Nice one thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Same as UrbebFret, I was in town the other day and asked one of them.

He said so long as you're parked either in a spot, a bike spot or on the pavement and not causing any obstructions, you're fine.

So just not on double yellows or causing an obstruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

thos wrote: »

Seems to be the case yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thos wrote: »

It's illegal for a motorbike to use a pay and display bay in Dublin, so the compromise is that we don't get done for parking on the footpath if not causing an obstruction. Just be careful around the IFSC and Grand canal dock as a lot of that is private property and they clamp. Check your local council parking regulations.

http://dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlByeLaws2014.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Del2005 wrote: »

"A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be
    parked during operational hours in a paid parking area."

Interesting. So if you have a bit on the side, where are you supposed to park?

macplaxton wrote: »
    "A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be
    parked during operational hours in a paid parking area."

Interesting. So if you have a bit on the side, where are you supposed to park?

The answer is in the bit you didn't quote. Or you can use the legal bike part beside the GPO, plenty of armed Gardai around for security!

Sorry for being dumb, but which bit didn't I quote?

Whilst I appreciate that motorcycle bays can be used, seems a bit unfair on taking up the space of a few solos.

[Background: Been here 12 years, but worked in London before that - way back then motorcycle bays were for solos and combos paid-parked in ordinary bays - there weren't any complicated rules. If the marked bay was paid for, you could stick more or less what you liked in - be that a pair of Smarts with only one ticket between them or more often than not if a paid car had space either end of it a solo m/c could squat in the space - provided they didn't bugger off before you got back!]

macplaxton wrote: »
    Sorry for being dumb, but which bit didn't I quote?

Whilst I appreciate that motorcycle bays can be used, seems a bit unfair on taking up the space of a few solos.

[Background: Been here 12 years, but worked in London before that - way back then motorcycle bays were for solos and combos paid-parked in ordinary bays - there weren't any complicated rules. If the marked bay was paid for, you could stick more or less what you liked in - be that a pair of Smarts with only one ticket between them or more often than not if a paid car had space either end of it a solo m/c could squat in the space - provided they didn't bugger off before you got back!]

I miss interpretated bit on the side. If you have a sidecar you'd have to use the multi story or other private car parks.

• Advertisement

I don't have one (yet). So it's motorcycle bays then or off street parking (or a single-handed campaign of disobedience. :))

Advertisement