Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Question

Options
  • 23-01-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just after a session earlier, HIIT.

Involving an interval with 175% of FTP(490 watts), lasting 45 seconds. But I was finding the wheel jumping, skiding at cadences below 107.

Obviously that's cadence is realistic.

Question is...it this caused by trainer setup or is it because I'm not able to put out sufficient power.

This is all in erg mode

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just after a session earlier, HIIT.

Involving an interval with 175% of FTP(490 watts), lasting 45 seconds. But I was finding the wheel jumping, skiding at cadences below 107.

Obviously that's cadence is realistic.

Question is...it this caused by trainer setup or is it because I'm not able to put out sufficient power.

This is all in erg mode

Your tyre probably not tight enough to roller that’s all.
    Are you using a turbo specific tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Your tyre probably not tight enough to roller that’s all.
    Are you using a turbo specific tyre?

I checked the calibration, it was OK according to that.

No just a regular tyre

I checked the calibration, it was OK according to that.

No just a regular tyre

The reality is non direct drive turbos will slip a bit if u accelerate abruptly. I tend to stay in the saddle and keep everything smooth, only jumping out of the saddle to maintain power on a hill or towards the end of an interval. Could be tyre or tyre pressure... I use a turbo specific tyre... it wears slower, and I only put about 80psi in it.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    The reality is non direct drive turbos will slip a bit if u accelerate abruptly. I tend to stay in the saddle and keep everything smooth, only jumping out of the saddle to maintain power on a hill or towards the end of an interval. Could be tyre or tyre pressure... I use a turbo specific tyre... it wears slower, and I only put about 80psi in it.

How many bars is 80psi( is it 8 by any chance).

I stay seated at all times. I just find it interesting that at higher cadence its smooth

I'll be doing the same session again next week,might try it without erg mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No help but 175% for 45 seconds... Hell of an interval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

1 Bar is 14 psi

dahat wrote: »
    No help but 175% for 45 seconds... Hell of an interval.

Tell me about it. I managed to do 2 outta 6. The slipping really mad it hard to maintain. I think the session is designed to fail...that's what I'm telling myself

benneca1 wrote: »

1 Bar is 14 psi

I'll double check my pressure, but I checked earlier and it was within the recommended range for my turbo...but its too far away

I stay seated at all times. I just find it interesting that at higher cadence its smooth

I'll be doing the same session again next week,might try it without erg mode.

That’s the thing with ERG. if you slow down.. it will up the resistance to maintain the same power... this can then further slow you down!!... and the greater the resistance the higher chance of the tyre slipping.
    Eg... 200 watts at a tyre speed of 10kph requires a lot more resistance than 200watts at 30kph.
    It’s worth entering those intervals with a bit of speed or else you can get bogged down.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marty is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

benneca1 wrote: »

1 Bar is 14 psi

It's actually 14.5 psi (1.45038 psi) 80psi is 5.5 bar. To get 8 bar you need 116psi

Advertisement