Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter Bike Camera 2019

Options
  • 23-01-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I know there has been posts on this multiple times but cant see anything within last year. After far too many near misses and spills im Looking for recommendation for decent camera to use on my commute to city centre 30k each way. Lot of mixed reviews on all the ones I've looked at and Go Pro have totally changed there range and lost the hero sessions which I was considering. Picture quality at night important and good battery life ideally 3hrs to cover round trip.

For the rear I currently have an aldi version of the fly 6 but considering upgrading to real deal as it's too glitchy.

Would spend up to 300 for a decent front camera.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fly 6 at the back and Gopro session at the front.

Fly 6 is great and looks after itself in terms of beeps for battery and rolling footage
    Gopro has about 2 hours constant battery and can be configured for rolling footage too. the app is great for a clip or a screenshot. I mount it on a K-edge xl under the garmin, expensive mount but well worth it

On the underneath of the saddle I use a Garmin Varia radar for warning of cars coming from behind (different colours for different closing speeds) this I find really handy but might be overkill for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

detones wrote: »
    I know there has been posts on this multiple times but cant see anything within last year. After far too many near misses and spills im Looking for recommendation for decent camera to use on my commute to city centre 30k each way. Lot of mixed reviews on all the ones I've looked at and Go Pro have totally changed there range and lost the hero sessions which I was considering. Picture quality at night important and good battery life ideally 3hrs to cover round trip.

For the rear I currently have an aldi version of the fly 6 but considering upgrading to real deal as it's too glitchy.

Would spend up to 300 for a decent front camera.

Front camera...Cyliq Fly12. Doubles as a light too. Turn it on and it starts recording immediately. Has in built crash detection that locks the recording away.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sessions: 90 mins runtime realistically. Not gonna cut it (I use one but I'm 7km).

The Fly6/12 are ok but image quality can bit a bit hit or miss from what I've seen.

Personally there's nothing that I think ticks all the boxes but the Drift Ghost X is one of the closest. 5hrs and 8hrs with the extended pack. Pretty nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fly 12 image quality is impeccable, light is strong but not focused, on full beam you get 90 minutes including recording, on lower beam you get over 4 hours, no light and it goes for 10hours recording. Negatives are it is not small and the tightening on the mount is not perfect so add a washer to brace it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CramCycle wrote: »
    Fly 12 image quality is impeccable, light is strong but not focused, on full beam you get 90 minutes including recording, on lower beam you get over 4 hours, no light and it goes for 10hours recording. Negatives are it is not small and the tightening on the mount is not perfect so add a washer to brace it better.

I found the Chinese aluminium mounts much better than the one provided with the Fly12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Do you have the newer version cram?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you have the newer version cram?

Older, it's pretty hefty size wise, I can put up videos if you want to see it

Older, it's pretty hefty size wise, I can put up videos if you want to see it

Ah no worries, I'll check it out on YouTube and the web. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Magicshine are doing their own version of the fly6 rear camera light. It's only been previewed at a show so far so it might be a while away yet, or cycliq put a stop to it.

If you can find one, the Shimano cm-1000 is still a great camera. It's very small and doesn't therefore take up space, good image quality and fairly bullit proof so far.

I used one on the rear for a while until my saddle rail mount broke off descending the Sally gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've the Fly12 and think it's great - one thing though as mentioned above is the mount. I've the K-edge mount for it and as well as giving more peace of mind about it's stability / security on the bike it also improves the picture quality significantly vs a plastic mount which will allow more vibration.

• Advertisement

Do you need a PC/Laptop to view footage on a fly 12, can you connect it physically or wirelessly to a tablet/phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Do you need a PC/Laptop to view footage on a fly 12, can you connect it physically or wirelessly to a tablet/phone?

I've the older version Fly12 which you can connect wirelessly to your phone but I tend to just connect it physically to the laptop as I find it more convenient for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Is there anything decent sub €100? Handlebar mount preferrable.

Advertisement