Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance after owning bike

Options
  • 23-01-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any car insurance company who will take give any kind of ncb from bike insurance. I gather there is none but thought it was worth asking.. I am about to turn 38 and getting quotes of over 2k on a 1.3 Fiesta which is a bit depressing, I think that is pretty much what I paid on my second year driving when i was 22..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I was on the other side of the fence of that problem last year. My motorbike NCB lapsed so when I went around to get quotes for my bike, I was basically laughed at. The only thing that saved me was that I had full NCB with Liberty for my car, so they gave me a very reasonable quote in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭blade1

From my experience one has nothing to do with the other.
    Liberty give(or used to at least) 10% off if you have a second policy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blade1 wrote: »
    From my experience one has nothing to do with the other.
    Liberty give(or used to at least) 10% off if you have a second policy with them.

Until you made a claim and then your renewal will increase for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Until you made a claim and then your renewal will increase for both.

Of course.
    In their eyes you are more likely to be involved in accidents and will, because of this,punish you as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

No company will accept a Bike NCB for Cars and vice versa. Any reduction you'd get from a company where you have other policies is just a sign of good faith.

My car is with Liberty and they were looking to bend me over back ways getting Insured first time learner on a 125cc bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I’m going back a long time here, but it’s an interesting topic.

I started out on a moped, and got 1 year NCB when with Hibernian ( not Aviva as they are now) and the following year I got my first car so used it when taking out my car insurance policy with Quinn-Direct (Not Liberty) and it was accepted no questions asked. I sent them the NCB cert and heard no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

No company will accept a Bike NCB for Cars and vice versa. Any reduction you'd get from a company where you have other policies is just a sign of good faith.

My car is with Liberty and they were looking to bend me over back ways getting Insured first time learner on a 125cc bike.

I did have my car with liberty back in 2015 when I bought a bandit 600, did my IBT and they mirrored my NCB as named experience from my car (5years) to give me 5 years name experience on the bike... my first year as a learner in the bike I paid 399 euro fully comp. I was 24 years of age.

I car insurance was abour 850 tho (had a claim in 2013 some one hit my car and drive off 3k damage done) still thought I was paying reasonable insurance.

Not sure if thet still do it in reverse in your case OP. But 123.ie gave me the best price this year

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I hate insurance companies.. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I started out on a moped, and got 1 year NCB when with Hibernian

Jaysus, didn't know you were that old :p they were already "Norwich Screwnion" when I started off.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Jaysus, didn't know you were that old :p they were already "Norwich Screwnion" when I started off.

I’m far from the young boy I once was :pac:

I remember Norwich Union trading here but I was a bit too young to take out a policy at the time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

sonyvision wrote: »
    I did have my car with liberty back in 2015 when I bought a bandit 600, did my IBT and they mirrored my NCB as named experience from my car (5years) to give me 5 years name experience on the bike... my first year as a learner in the bike I paid 399 euro fully comp. I was 24 years of age.

I car insurance was abour 850 tho (had a claim in 2013 some one hit my car and drive off 3k damage done) still thought I was paying reasonable insurance.

Not sure if thet still do it in reverse in your case OP. But 123.ie gave me the best price this year
    Interesting, do you remember what the quote was without the NCB? 4 years ago is feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hibernian -> Norwich Union -> Aviva I thought.

Or did NU take over Hibernian and rebrand as Hibernian?

Anyway when I started in 1995, Norwich Union was all there was for bikes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hibernian -> Norwich Union -> Aviva I thought.

Or did NU take over Hibernian and rebrand as Hibernian?

Anyway when I started in 1995, Norwich Union was all there was for bikes.

I started in 2003 with Hibernian, thought N.U were taken over by them.

I’ll give it a look to see which was first.

I know PMPA became guardian direct who became AXA

It was between Hibernian & AON back then, the market was heavily limited, then halfway through the policy I got a letter to state they were pulling out of the motorcycle insurance market and having gotten the car the moped was less attractive given the typical Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Interesting, do you remember what the quote was without the NCB? 4 years ago is feck all.

It was nearly 800 euro!!!, they said after the NCB and discouts applied my policy would be 289, but given my age the minimum they can charge was 399... which i was fine to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In the same situation as the OP, buying a car shortly but having got some quotes Im looking at €1,500 for insurance. Its a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I’m far from the young boy I once was :pac:

I remember Norwich Union trading here but I was a bit too young to take out a policy at the time :o
    I started in 2003 with Hibernian, thought N.U were taken over by them.

I’ll give it a look to see which was first.

I know PMPA became guardian direct who became AXA

It was between Hibernian & AON back then, the market was heavily limited, then halfway through the policy I got a letter to state they were pulling out of the motorcycle insurance market and having gotten the car the moped was less attractive given the typical Irish weather.

It was NU --> Hibernian --> Aviva (but I don't think Aviva ever actually gave bike cover).

I still have my first N.U. Cert, from 1988: £436 for a 1980 Suzuki SB200 - which means the Insurance cost me £36 more than the bike did.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    It was NU --> Hibernian --> Aviva (but I don't think Aviva ever actually gave bike cover).

I still have my first N.U. Cert, from 1988: £436 for a 1980 Suzuki SB200 - which means the Insurance cost me £36 more than the bike did.....

Yes you are correct, Hibernian ceased bike insurance ever before they were taken over by Aviva.

Advertisement