Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torque wrench?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone having a debate with my buddy he's says that you 100% must need a tourqe wrench to do brake disks and pads I know alot of people who have done them with out that kind of wrench they have done it with a regular wrench is this true . Please say it's not I don't want to proved wrong 😂😂 the people I know who have done them with a regular wrench is still living there brakes are still working also 😂😂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’ve done them without a torque wrench,
    But yea if you are doing anything like that you should really have one.
    Also stop people wrecking sumps and also takes away the doubt if you are tight , too tight or not tight enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carl456

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    Hi everyone having a debate with my buddy he's says that you 100% must need a tourqe wrench to do brake disks and pads I know alot of people who have done them with out that kind of wrench they have done it with a regular wrench is this true . Please say it's not I don't want to proved wrong 😂😂 the people I know who have done them with a regular wrench is still living there brakes are still working also 😂😂

If ya don't torque the pads it'll drive terrible smoky. Wouldn't risk it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Hmmmm not sure if I should post.... :o

Feck it, the only things I tighten with a torque wrench are head bolts. Oh, and wheel bolts, for insurance reasons.. Almost nothing else really.
    After a few years you just get used to what bolts will take. I've done three timing belts on one particular car and each was as easy as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Just run all bolts in with the impact gun, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’ve done them without a torque wrench,
    But yea if you are doing anything like that you should really have one.
    Also stop people wrecking sumps and also takes away the doubt if you are tight , too tight or not tight enough.

If you wreck the sump changing discs or pads you've really lost your way with the job you're doing...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

So it seems almost everyone don't use a torque wrench at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

What?

???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have done my own brakes - pads and discs, many times without torque wrench.

But, if in doubt, get one anyway.
    There are many uses for it around the car and it's a cheap tool that will give you confidence the bolts are torqued right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If you wreck the sump changing discs or pads you've really lost your way with the job you're doing...........

Well I know you know what I mean.
    It’s a handy tool to have for many jobs and takes away the doubt.
    Many stories of people ****ing the threads on a sump by over tightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

The problem is that unless you get a proper calibrated torque wrench (with certificate) it can be quite inaccurate . I have read about tests being carried out to compare the accuracy of torque wrenches and the results varied widely.
    Head bolts for years now have been angle tightened - small torque quoted to 'settle' the bolts and then angle tightened from there.
    I rarely use a torque wrench , but I do use thread lock on all fastenings that are being reused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

???

Punctuation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,785 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Serviced my car's for years with no torque wrench I only got one about two years ago.

Nothing bad about doing your brakes without a torque wrench. Its not a necessity

Advertisement