Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import from NI

Options
  • 22-01-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of importing a gun from Northern Ireland. I'm looking to get a secondhand Remington .308 sent to RFD in Cork.

Tannyoky said it wouldn't be a problem when I called, had it transferred to them and got an Irish import licence for it.
    Now they're saying they can't export any American goods out of the country because of ITAR as it would be a federal offence.

Any help would be great, Bryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As far as I know, the United Kingdom is not responsible for the onward extension of the ITAR into another country. Especially as the firearm is not even imported specifically for you, but is already second-hand, and had been imported for an distributor and eventual end-user in the UK. It's not even going to you directly, but to an authorised RFD.

This really is tearing the a*se out of interpreting another country's rules.

If this was in the spirit of the ITAR, it might be more acceptable, but it seems more in the spirit of 'let's screw the prospective customer.' Tannyoky have gone down substantially in my estimation, not that they've give a hoot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What Tac said.
    Unless that .308 is some sort of military grade, super current issue sniper rifle.ITAR should not come into it at all.Maybe they are getting their Home office rules mixed up with ITAR rules?But even then the Eu directives on firearms transfer within the EU still applies.Also,as it is already a Uk regd firearm...What's their problem?
    Methinks someone is extracting the urine up in Belfast.
    Ask them for official documentation from the Home office or the PSNI that states this is an ITAR item.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

I have dealt with this before but only with Optics. The Nightforce ATACR AND BEAST are made in the USA and when buying from distributor in the UK i did need to fill out a few pages of ITAR related paperwork that needed to be sent to the US to get signed off on. It took 3 weeks to process. they needed EORI paperwork and such, I am not sure if a end user has EORI number.

As well as the standard "i will not use this to make a Nuclear warhead" etc.

@Ziggieire - you were importing NEW items, as we've noted, this rifle is already a second-hand, a previously-registered and fully documented in UK item.

AFIAC, the international rules for the transfer of firearms applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Those scopes are Milspec and controlled under ITAC. Super nice.

Most scopes, even from Nightforce aren't.
    Reticules with Milradian and some Mildots are controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But milspec scopes,inc night vision, is available outside CONUS to approved EU countries for purchase.IE ASFIK Germany and the UK.
    IOW if you buy over the counter there, its a normal sale and off you go with your purchase. However, buying it online and shipping to outside those countries addresses, and that's where the paperwork kicks in. As it is now considered an export to another country and that's where many stores will err on the side of caution and decline a sale, rather than tangle with the Home office or German equivalent.
    Ireland OTOH,we are on an approved country, with paperwork list.IOW The US govt allows sales to us, provided you provide an end user cert declaration, that you promise not to sell the scope to your local friendly ISIL man, and that if you do sell the scope to a 3rd party you make them aware of the conditions etc in writing.[IOW just keep a photocopy of the declaration and pass it on with the scope]
    Thing is, find a US company that knows this exemption, or has the facility to do an outside CONUS sale. The only one I have found so far is Web buy shops in Texas. The paperwork took less than 24 hours to sort out, via email. From initial contact to delivery of scopes it took a week done online.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

How could US legislation still apply outside it's jurisdiction in this case. The firearm if manufactured in the US has been permanently exported to the EU and only moves internally inside the EU. If UK and Ireland formalities are fulfilled that should be the end of the matter.

Also, from an end user point of view the purpose will still be lawful sporting activities so there's no change in purpose there either. For export purposes I would imagine the likes of Edgar Brothers and GMK and the like would have a general sort of end user certificate stating something like "for sale to the sporting public for sporting purposes".

Indirectly this would imply that the US does not recognise the EU which is clearly not the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I've brought in guns from NI direct and through a dealer. Never heard of that before. The import license was actually filled out by the dealer, he told me to go down to the local barracks and they'll finish the rest including faxing it to Justice.
    Has the import license before the firearm cert, when I had everything I went back up north gave him the import license, he copied it and then went on my merry way. I saved €150 on the same gun.

I've been told the actual problem tannyoky have with transferring the rifle is my accent. Irish.
    The ITAR regs was just spoof.

It's been transferred, at my cost to, Mourne River Guns and Tackle who are more than happy to help. McAvoys would have been happy to help too.

BryanL wrote: »
    I've been told the actual problem tannyoky have with transferring the rifle is my accent. Irish.
    The ITAR regs was just spoof.

It's been transferred, at my cost to, Mourne River Guns and Tackle who are more than happy to help. McAvoys would have been happy to help too.

Is this a fact or a rumour? If it is a fact, then who told you? And if it is a rumour, how did you hear it?

Tannyoky are not a bunch of people selling from the back of a truck in a parking lot somewhere whilst looking over their shoulders - you have made a pretty serious accusation there, Sir.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Is this a fact or a rumour? If it is a fact, then who told you? And if it is a rumour, how did you hear it?

Tannyoky are not a bunch of people selling from the back of a truck in a parking lot somewhere whilst looking over their shoulders - you have made a pretty serious accusation there, Sir.

It was agreed they'd send it to Cork over the phone when I spoke to one staff member.

When my Import licence was in hand it was sent to them and they refused to send it to the RFD on the import licence. They informed me it was impossible to ship a secondhand Remington to the ROI because of American regulations.

My RFD contacted them and they would not budge from that line.

It's been transferred to Mourne River, they're sending it to the ROI because no such regulations exist.

Myself or the RFD could make no headway against their point blank refusals. I emailed them asking for their reasons, they've ignored my emails.

I was recommended them by 2 UK shops who've used them without issue. For me, no go. For an Irish RFD no go.

So with everything in place and in order. There was NO possible way they would transfer to me in the ROI. Those are indisputable facts. They're aware it's been transferred to another northern RFD for transfer to the ROI.

Advertisement