Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ball joint, loud sound. Can I drive?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This morning when just before arriving at work, I heard a loud snap sound and I am nearly sure my front right ball joint is gone (my car is actually marked to get a new one this Friday after NCT pointed it out).

Can I still drive home (12 miles) or is this very dangerous?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If in doubt, dont drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Well, safely home now, i drove it back.

Slightly scary as every small dink in the road resulted in a scraping noise but it the car was responsive. Will drive it one more time to the garage :)

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wcool wrote: »
    Hi,

This morning when just before arriving at work, I heard a loud snap sound and I am nearly sure my front right ball joint is gone (my car is actually marked to get a new one this Friday after NCT pointed it out).

Can I still drive home (12 miles) or is this very dangerous?

Thanks

Ball joints don't usually go with a loud snap, but suspension springs do. Generally it's the end of the coil that breaks, meaning you're fine to drive if, IIFFFFFF the strut/shock that the spring is sat on is wider than the spring. Like so.

kyb_strutplus_sr4020_600px.jpg

For some cars that's not the case, spring breaks and aims for the tyre, and trust me when I say that'll liven up a dull, sleepy work commute :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Pah hahaha, that was from the Azeala banks thread, hold on :D

Edit: OK, correct picture posted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

you could well be right, it was clear during driving there was no suspension at the right front side. I don't know enough about cars to be sure.

The car is a Peugeot 407 2005. Whatever snapped was a really a loud noise, I thought I had drive over something I hadn't seen...

• Advertisement
Advertisement