Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land registry- holding up sale

Options
  • 22-01-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi, my partner and I went sale agreed on a house last month. The estate agent estimated a closing time of around 4 weeks. EA told us the vendors were waiting on documents to arrive from land registry and contracts would go straight out. That was almost a fortnight ago.

I have been chasing up this week to see if we are any closer to getting contracts but EA hasn't got any feedback from the vendors. I have also been onto our solicitor who has heard nothing from their side.

Is this something that can take a while? We don't mind waiting, once we know there is nothing to worry about. The seller only bought the house in 2016, we know their reasons for moving and no concerns there. Structural survey all good.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Katie

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

4 weeks would be very optimistic. Took me 6 months to close in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

We just closed last week and this step took us from mid December until now. There was a few weeks break in the middle for Christmas, so I'd say it was a bit less than 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Closed in 6 weeks recently. BUT all the finality of transfer took about 3 months. ... two weeks is a little optimistic. I would not worry too much, it depends on people, and they have other issues to sort out. It will all happen at once.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

We had a similar problem this time last year but we were the sellers. It took about a month to get the paperwork from the Land Registry and there was nothing we could do to hurry things up. Very stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Thanks all, just got an email from EA , their solicitor said that the registration of the owner is currently ongoing and they'll flag that with my solicitor and send the contracts out anyway. We had a nasty experience being gazumped last year so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

• Advertisement

katie275 wrote: »
    their solicitor said that the registration of the owner is currently ongoing and they'll flag that with my solicitor and send the contracts out anyway.

They bought the house in 2016 and are still in the process of registering their ownership?

That seems very strange.

Was there a divorce or something in the interim, title problems, or a very inefficient solicitor (which they might still be using)...?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

No divorce, our solicitor should have the contract in his hands in the next couple of days so we will know more soon, please god it’s nothing to be concerned about!

Advertisement