Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a reptile?

• 22-01-2019 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking in the future I'd like to adopt an older tortoise as opposed to buying a young one, I feel adopting an older unwanted one will be a much better option than lining the pockets of a pet shop.

My problem is I can't seem to find anywhere that adopts out reptiles!

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I've kept numerous reptiles before, snakes, beardies, geckos, tuarantula and I understand the needs of reptiles, I would just prefer to adopt like a 30 year old unwanted tortoise over a baby which is why ive never gotten a tortoise before. Aquatic turtles are no go, I have too many fish tanks already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Maybe get in touch with some of the sanctuaries? Somewhere like the below.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I was looking at <snip> perhaps I'll need to approach them because their website gives the impression that they don't adopt out.

There are a few rescues in the UK who are dedicated tortoise rescuers and have a few 30+ guys looking for homes, I have no problem booking a ferry over and back to adopt in the U.K. But I'd like to see if there are any Irish options first.

When I have the indoor space ready I may contact <snip> regarding their adoption options. The ideal is getting a greenhouse with a wooden run alongside the side of the garden for outdoors (in my head I'm thinking around 12foot long and 6 foot wide) and converting the utility room for indoors when it's really cold and icy out, utility will allow me to use a ramp to give the option to go outdoors during winter (door will be change to a double door so the top can stay closed to keep in as much heat as possible). Plus I can integrate the snakes and beardies into the utility in their vivs so I can have my reptile room!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can all posters please be aware that we are not permitted to name or recommend rescues on thread in this forum. Recommendations by PM only.

Also OP I'm moving your thread to our Aquariums, Terraniums Vivariums section.

Advertisement