Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Problem

Options
  • 22-01-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here:

Very close relative had an on-going case for over a year whereby the tenant wouldn’t vacate their house (for non-payment of rent, for over 15 months). Went through all the PRTB processes, landlord was vindicated at each stage, eventually the tenant appealed to the circuit court, again, landlord won here and tenant left on the final day of the order. That’s all grand and the biggest ordeal was getting her out of the house, however there is now an order against this person for approx. €15,000 of rent owed. Is there any contingency from the PRTB to make some payment in these cases? Is there any hope of ever getting a cent off her?

Another reason we are pissed off is that the RTB have yet to put any details on their website about this case, this person had scammed before, and is going to do so immediately again, but by not putting the details on-line it prevents perspective landlords from knowing what their tenant is like. We have been in constant contact with the RTB over this and they have always blown us off, last time (over a month ago, the tenant vacated the house in august) I threatened to go to a newspaper with this story if they didn’t put her details on-line, however this has still not happened. We are so aggrieved over the whole handling of this case and would like to know if there is anything we can do? For sure, if I was a landlord and rented my house to this person in the meantime and subsequently details went up on the RTB website about her I would be looking to sue them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Welcome to ireland. We usually have an absence of the the Landlord are loaded replies on threads like this. Find out by social media etc where she lives and pursue the debt. RTB are not there for the landlord has has been shown time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The only body you can possibly get any money from is the ex-tenant. Your chances of getting money are low. I know a few people who got money from ex-tenants. It wasn't the full amount owed and there were legal bills to pay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

Looking for some advice here:

Very close relative had an on-going case for over a year whereby the tenant wouldn’t vacate their house (for non-payment of rent, for over 15 months). Went through all the PRTB processes, landlord was vindicated at each stage, eventually the tenant appealed to the circuit court, again, landlord won here and tenant left on the final day of the order. That’s all grand and the biggest ordeal was getting her out of the house, however there is now an order against this person for approx. €15,000 of rent owed. Is there any contingency from the PRTB to make some payment in these cases? Is there any hope of ever getting a cent off her?

Another reason we are pissed off is that the RTB have yet to put any details on their website about this case, this person had scammed before, and is going to do so immediately again, but by not putting the details on-line it prevents perspective landlords from knowing what their tenant is like. We have been in constant contact with the RTB over this and they have always blown us off, last time (over a month ago, the tenant vacated the house in august) I threatened to go to a newspaper with this story if they didn’t put her details on-line, however this has still not happened. We are so aggrieved over the whole handling of this case and would like to know if there is anything we can do? For sure, if I was a landlord and rented my house to this person in the meantime and subsequently details went up on the RTB website about her I would be looking to sue them.

You could see if you could secure an "attachment order" against their wages or if they are not working against their social welfare entitlements.

I know this exists but is not widely used. it was introduced to remove the need to send people to prison for non payment of fines where they spent a couple of hours in prison and were released having been fed and given bus fare home.

A solicitor may be able to tell you the costs involved etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

My strong suggestion against lazy RTB employees, you spent enough time with them.
    1) Send a formal complaint to the RTB director about the case not being published giving a deadline of 30 days
    2) If there is no action or they try to fob you off (they tried once with me on a different issue), make a complaint to the Irish Ombudsman and force the RTB to comply (they did after just getting contacted by the Irish Ombudsman in my case, their cushy jobs are just too precious to risk them!)
    https://www.ombudsman.ie/making-a-complaint/make-a-complaint/

You just have to keep fighting, this is the routing of a landlord in Ireland: never give up an inch or the RTB and a few tenants will take a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

While you can't get blood from a stone, there are ways to enforce judgment against an individual.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/enforcement_of_judgments.html

That is a useful resource to provide an overview on what options are available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement