Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using third party routers with Eir's FTTH service.

Options
  • 22-01-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on boards tried a better quality router than Eir's F2000 Modem for their Fibre To The Home service that is been rolled to many rural locations around Ireland. The F2000 is not a very high quality device to be in charge of your home network. Alternative routers are widely available in Curry’s/PC World and Harvey Norman’s. For anyone that have used an alternative as a customer to Eir what is the recommended settings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Has anyone on boards tried a better quality router than Eir's F2000 Modem for their Fibre To The Home service that is been rolled to many rural locations around Ireland. The F2000 is not a very high quality device to be in charge of your home network. Alternative routers are widely available in Curry’s/PC World and Harvey Norman’s. For anyone that have used an alternative as a customer to Eir what is the recommended settings?

VLAN tagging on the WAN interface is the most important. Without this the router will not connect. A lot of the cheaper routers may not include this function so make sure you check online before purchasing.

I have not used a third party router so cannot make a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

VLAN tagging on the WAN interface is the most important. Without this the router will not connect. A lot of the cheaper routers may not include this function so make sure you check online before purchasing.

I have not used a third party router so cannot make a recommendation.

I recently got the Google WiFi 3 pack and it's a really good solution, only problem I have with it as that I can't get rid of the eir router as there is no option to tag vlan 10 on the Google WiFi.

But in saying that I've it stored away in the attic with the WiFi turned off and connected to the Google WiFi with cat 5e cabling.

Advertisement