Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just joined a range , pistol recommendations?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I've recently joined a range and got a chance to try pistol shooting and I took to it straight away, big dirty grin on the first shot😀
    I'm planning on spending about 450 at the most as I want to see how it goes. I saw a buckmark for sale online in the north for £400 would it be hard to import here?
    I'm planning on just doing some plinking at the range but I'd like to have the option to be competitive if I start to really like it so I'm starting to lean away from the GSG and the likes
    What pistol could I get for that money that I could be somewhat competitive with? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Hi lads I've recently joined a range and got a chance to try pistol shooting and I took to it straight away, big dirty grin on the first shot😀
    I'm planning on spending about 450 at the most as I want to see how it goes. I saw a buckmark for sale online in the north for £400 would it be hard to import here?
    I'm planning on just doing some plinking at the range but I'd like to have the option to be competitive if I start to really like it so I'm starting to lean away from the GSG and the likes
    What pistol could I get for that money that I could be somewhat competitive with? Cheers

Sig mosquito goes for that money but alot of lads dont rate them. Better off upping your budget a bit and trying the likes of a beretta 87t or a hammerli xesse. Thats just personal opinion as its the only 2 iv owned

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Sig mosquito goes for that money but alot of lads dont rate them. Better off upping your budget a bit and trying the likes of a beretta 87t or a hammerli xesse. Thats just personal opinion as its the only 2 iv owned

There's no way I'd go for a mosquito it's too small(90% of a P226), that's why the GSG came to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Pay the extra and get a decent pistol

- Buck Mark
    - Beretta 87T
    - S&W 22A
    - Hammerli Xesse
    - Ruger Mark 3/4

Main thing is to find one that fits you. Try a few at the range and see what gives you the best results. Buck Mark works out of the box. I had a couple of pistols and always went back to the BM. Sold others.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Hack12 wrote: »

- Buck Mark
    - Beretta 97T
    - S&W 22A
    - Hammerli Xesse
    - Ruger Mark 3/4

Main thing is to find one that fits you. Try a few at the range and see what gives you the best results. Buck Mark works out of the box. I had a couple of pistols and always went back to the BM. Sold others.....

I've had all of the above and better. Worst was the S&W 22A.
    Top of the range were the S&W model 41, AW 93 and I now shoot the Grand Power K22 XTrim.
    Its a good as any of those above and better than some and looks like a real handgun.

For the money your looking to spend your in the second hand market so take care on what you buy.
    Beter to save more $$$$ and try as many as you can before parting with your cash

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I see Cilldara are advertising the S&W Victory. I have no experience of them but have read they are supposed to be accurate enough out of the box and have decent triggers.

• Advertisement

Hack12 wrote: »

- Buck Mark
    - Beretta 97T
    - S&W 22A
    - Hammerli Xesse
    - Ruger Mark 3/4

Im only looking for something to get started on, no point in me dropping a grand or more on a pistol only to say in two months pistol shooting isnt for me....
    Had a shot out of a Ruger MKIV and it fit me very well so maybe theres a few second hand MKIII's around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Im only looking for something to get started on, no point in me dropping a grand or more on a pistol only to say in two months pistol shooting isnt for me....
    Had a shot out of a Ruger MKIV and it fit me very well so maybe theres a few second hand MKIII's around?

Thing with good 2nd hand pistols is they hold the value really well. You wont loose money. Buy cheap if you want but 9 times out if ten it will be a ball of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

You get what you pay for!!! Generally you won't loose money on pistols and recently some are making money on them.

Having a bad pistol may effect your experience of pistol shooting. There is nothing worse in a competition where you can't trust your equipment. It plays havoc on the mind. Shooting is a head game if not more than a practical sport and if you have no trust in your pistol then your not going to achieve your true potential.

It can happen with any gun but stove pipes, jams etc will drive you mad or god forbid a squib and you don't hear it. I would rather a good quality pistol in my hand if I didn't hear the squib and put a second round up the barrel.

clivej wrote: »
    I've had all of the above and better. Worst was the S&W 22A.
    Top of the range were the S&W model 41, AW 93 and I now shoot the Grand Power K22 XTrim.
    Its a good as any of those above and better than some and looks like a real handgun.

For the money your looking to spend your in the second hand market so take care on what you buy.
    Beter to save more $$$$ and try as many as you can before parting with your cash

The grand power is about 700 new isn't it? Would it be accurate enough for competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

The grand power is about 700 new isn't it? Would it be accurate enough for competition?

As I've said above I have been thru them all and the K22 XTrim is as good as any of them and better than some.
    At 25m rested it will shoot 1" groups, and I have shot those size groups with the K22 club pistol.

And I have won, and got placed in a few comps. with it

Come to HH sports Club and you can take mine out for a test drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭freddieot

clivej wrote: »
    As I've said above I have been thru them all and the K22 XTrim is as good as any of them and better than some.
    At 25m rested it will shoot 1" groups, and I have shot those size groups with the K22 club pistol.

And I have won, and got placed in a few comps. with it

Good to hear - I have a K22 Xtrim on order..

Advertisement