Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raleigh high nelly parts

Options
  • 22-01-2019 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Just inherited a nice 50s raleigh. Is there anywhere in Ireland breaking these for parts, or supplying old new stock etc?
    It's a new world to me, trying to decide to either fully restore or leave the patina and rust (read character) as is, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Came across this company previously

http://www.highnelly.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yes I saw those thanks. I'll most likely be ordering a few bits there ( seat post, rear wheel etc) but Good Gawd the price of the saddles is up there. I was hoping to pick up a used brookes or a good alternative, and I'm also looking for chain bath parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anything like these? in case there's something you could scavenge...
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/old-raleigh-bikes/17141628

Unfortunately nothing I could use there, thanks. I tried the place in Phibsboro today, rothar. It used to be full of older bikes and i was sure I'd get something there, but all the old stuff is gone and replaced with the most hipstery of hipster stuff. There must be a long standing old bike shop somewhere in the city that would have old stock.

Yes I saw those thanks. I'll most likely be ordering a few bits there ( seat post, rear wheel etc) but Good Gawd the price of the saddles is up there. I was hoping to pick up a used brookes or a good alternative, and I'm also looking for chain bath parts.

I bought a Brookes racing saddle about 26 years ago (when they were still being made by the original company in the UK) and it is still as good as new. It occasionally gets treated with saddle oil (underneath) to keep the leather in good nick. The saddle cost a lot of money back then and I've never regretted it. Most comfortable saddle ever as being leather - it has become shaped to the contours of my own arse ;)

• Advertisement

If our arses are the same shape I'll buy it off you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

How bad is the original Saddle. I got life back into a 1950's Brooks.
    Kept soaking it with neatsfoot oil.
    It is the go to product Equestrian World to keep saddle leather alive.
    Any pics of the bike. I'd love to see where your starting from.

Esroh I'd love to have the saddle to work with but the FIL donated it and the seat post to another bike years ago. Here's a photo, it's actually in good working order., the tyres are still holding air.

20190122-110837.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Try the likes of historical site's around the country.
    Anywhere which is involved in tourism, a lot of places like Blarney Castle, Muckross House, Westport house and many more get donations of all kinds of things.
    Usually they leave them in an old shed somewhere, with great intentions...

But if you contact a few, you never know your luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Oh wow. That is pristine. A light rub of fine wire wool will loosen any little rust spots.
    Then sone boiled linseed on a cloth and rub it on.
    It will give it a layer of protection and you can buff it with cloth to get a shine.
    There is a High Nelly club in Durrow. They might be able to help you.
    This the link to the thread I started when I got my first one. There are a few pics of before and after
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057415153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VinDevo

Try Rothar on Fade St - they had a few old BSA leather saddles last time I was in - need a bit of TLC but would come up nicely

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

SPA cycles have a good range of leather saddles, many of which are well priced. For hard to find small parts, I've found SJS to be very good. For Brooks saddles, Bike-Discount-DE are one of the best priced.

Thanks folks, this was exactly the type of info I was after.

Picked up a lovely Brooks B66 on ebay for €40 delivered, delighted. I've noticed 3 spokes on the rear wheel have come loose. Does anyone know can these be repaired or do I need to replace the wheel?

Picked up a lovely Brooks B66 on ebay for €40 delivered, delighted. I've noticed 3 spokes on the rear wheel have come loose. Does anyone know can these be repaired or do I need to replace the wheel?

I recommend getting a copy of Richard Ballantines,  'Richards Bicycle Book'. Best how to manual ever imo. Full section on replacing and tightening loose spokes. Try ebay for a copy. My own is well oiled and thumbed at this stage.

For a very good intro to Richard Ballantine, see: second last post on here...

http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/topic.php?id=10313

Excellent. I have manuals for my cars, motorbikes and tractors, I was hoping there was something decent for bikes.

Excellent. I have manuals for my cars, motorbikes and tractors, I was hoping there was something decent for bikes.

I have a few for tractors - I'm always looking for new recommendations. Any good ones?

gozunda wrote: »
    I have a few for tractors - I'm always looking for new recommendations. Any good ones?
    The vintage tractor engineer 35 rebuild dvds, covers my 35 and 135.

Advertisement