Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card “time exceeded”

Options
  • 21-01-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was using the Luas throughout the day today but while trying to tap on this evening, I kept getting errors at the tap terminals. When I put the leap card on the main machine to check the status, it read “Status: Time Exceeded”

Is there a time limit to Luas even though I hit the cap weekly? My day was:

Red:
    Tap on at Drimnagh
    Tap off at Abbey

Green:
    Tap on at Marlborough
    Get off but don’t tap off

Green:
    Tap on at Central Park
    Get off at Stephens green but don’t tap off (5:30pm)

I then tried to tap on in the IFSC but got the errors described above. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're transferring lines you need to complete your journey from previous tap on within 1(?) hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

ED E wrote: »
    If you're transferring lines you need to complete your journey from previous tap on within 1(?) hr.

The time difference from my previous tap to the problem tap was about 4 hours, I thought that’d be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Bonavox wrote: »
    Hi,

I was using the Luas throughout the day today but while trying to tap on this evening, I kept getting errors at the tap terminals. When I put the leap card on the main machine to check the status, it read “Status: Time Exceeded”

Is there a time limit to Luas even though I hit the cap weekly? My day was:

Red:
    Tap on at Drimnagh
    Tap off at Abbey

Green:
    Tap on at Marlborough
    Get off but don’t tap off

Green:
    Tap on at Central Park
    Get off at Stephens green but don’t tap off (5:30pm)

I then tried to tap on in the IFSC but got the errors described above. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

That's probably why.

You can't not tap off and then tap on again. You know you are tapping "off" or "on" the system only interprets this based on the current state of the card. If you fail to tap "off" when leaving then depending on how long you take before you next validate the card it will either be tapped "off" within the allowed time at that point or the journey will be flagged as having exceeding the allowed time limit.

If you are using a PAYG leap then you MUST tag on and off every journey even when a cap has been reached. You will also be liable to a penalty if you end up travelling when the card is tagged off due to this behaviour.

Cards with loaded tickets such as daily/weekly/monthly/annual will not get any errors or penalties from failing to tag their card, even though Luas wants those users to tag on/off at every station once the product on the card is active it is valid for travel for it's duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That's probably why.

You can't not tap off and then tap on again. You know you are tapping "off" or "on" the system only interprets this based on the current state of the card. If you fail to tap "off" when leaving then depending on how long you take before you next validate the card it will either be tapped "off" within the allowed time at that point or the journey will be flagged as having exceeding the allowed time limit.

If you are using a PAYG leap then you MUST tag on and off every journey even when a cap has been reached. You will also be liable to a penalty if you end up travelling when the card is tagged off due to this behaviour.

Cards with loaded tickets such as daily/weekly/monthly/annual will not get any errors or penalties from failing to tag their card, even though Luas wants those users to tag on/off at every station once the product on the card is active it is valid for travel for it's duration.

That makes sense! I had assumed that the time difference would’ve accounted for it. Sure I know to tap off from now on. Thanks for the detailed reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Just to let you know, you don't need to tap off at Abbey if you're hopping on at Marlborough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

hasdanta wrote: »
    Just to let you know, you don't need to tap off at Abbey if you're hopping on at Marlborough.

Out of interest, how does that work getting off at Broombridge train and onto Luas to continue your journey? Do you have to tap off at the IR reader and tap on at the Luas reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ongarboy wrote: »
    Out of interest, how does that work getting off at Broombridge train and onto Luas to continue your journey? Do you have to tap off at the IR reader and tap on at the Luas reader?

Yes.

With a standard leap (not a day/week/annual, etc) it would be fare evasion and liable for penalty if caught without having tapped out rail in luas or vv.

With PAYG leap you are paying for each trip as you use it so you must validate each trip separately, this still applies if you have hit the cap and the journey will be "free", it still needs to be validated.

Luas red-green is an exception as the luas tag will apply the correct fare if you connect without tagging out-in at the changeover, as long as the overall journey is within the allowed journey time. However it is better to tag these separately as well in case your connection is extended and you fail to tag out within the allowed time for the whole journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

How it ended up @Bonavox? I got the same issue today (Time exceeded) and had to buy a normal ticket as my leap did not want to tap/reset?

Advertisement