Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike time (b2w)

Options
  • 21-01-2019 6:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New bike to work time for me

Currently have a Genesis Vapour 54cm with mostly Ultegra and a set of prime full carbon clincher disc wheels

Looking for something lighter so I am tempted by a Cannondale CAAD 12 (probably with Tiagra, as I have enough spare Ultegra at home to change it)

Had a look at the Cannondale Synapse Disc (doesn't really matter with the groupset in my price range as they are all mechanical discs) possible chance to move genesis wheels over to this one.

Main use is keeping fit and sportives. 6000km done last year

Anything else I have missed? Planet x, Boardman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't think you can go wrong with a CAAD12. For a once every 5 year golden ticket I'd be trying to push the boat out a bit further than TIAGRA though. Ultegra ideally, even on a 2018 build? Or the new 105 is lovely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

fat bloke wrote: »
    Don't think you can go wrong with a CAAD12. For a once every 5 year golden ticket I'd be trying to push the boat out a bit further than TIAGRA though. Ultegra ideally, even on a 2018 build? Or the new 105 is lovely.

I have most of an Ultegra groupset already collected at home and going to keep an eye out for a nice set of wheels for the future

Cannondale don't give you the 105 crank, only one of their own spurious ones

Going out tomorrow to have a look at a Bianchi and Orbea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Put a deposit down on a Caad12 with 360 cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did they not vote to make it every three years ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Did they not vote to make it every three years ?

If you're right then I'm filing two repeat applications tomorrow!!! One for me, one for the wife!!.

But, sadly, I don't think you are, delighted as I would be to be wrong.

• Advertisement

If you're right then I'm filing two repeat applications tomorrow!!! One for me, one for the wife!!.

But, sadly, I don't think you are, delighted as I would be to be wrong.

Motion passed, just needs to be enacted
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/01/20/minister-ross-and-campaigners-differ-on-funding-after-dail-passes-cycling-motion/

Woo hoo!!!

That's fantastic! - Any time line on enactment??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have assumed that was a budgetary issue, not handled within 'normal' legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So can someone get this confirmed? Could revenue confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭secman

Still 5 years, Revenue site and Citizens Advice Site confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »

A waiting game then it seems.

secman wrote: »

The motion only passed this week......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

If I could piggyback on this thread please - never used my cycle to work and after nearly two years with a Boardman CX, I wouldn't mind getting a road bike with relaxed geometry, "endurance bike" I think they are called? Canyon etc are out of question as work insists on using biketowork.ie coupon system.

Any suggestions please? This would be my main / good bike, and I would be hoping to 50k-100k rides (weekends, occasional long commutes etc), and perhaps a couple of 200k rides a year. Thinking aluminum frame, 105 groupset & disc brakes (mechanical to save costs).

My LBS is Quay Cycles in Drogheda, might pay them a visit for advice as well.

Advertisement