Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Framesize

Options
  • 21-01-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Is a 54 cm cervelo frame too small for someone who is 185cm in Height? I have a 55 race bike and 56 for winter bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Depends on the minimum insertion on the seatpost, personally if I have a choice I will have the smallest possible frame and lengthen it with the stem. Im 175 and on a 54cm Genesis I feel its too big

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m 186cm and have a 56cm cube. Recently had a 56cm trek too. Both were perfect fits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Borderfox wrote: »
    Depends on the minimum insertion on the seatpost, personally if I have a choice I will have the smallest possible frame and lengthen it with the stem. Im 175 and on a 54cm Genesis I feel its too big

Genesis recommend the 54 for me and I'm about 180 and otherwise cycle a 56 Trek or Guerciotti. But for the seized seatpost in the Genesis, it's a good size.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

genesis are known for being a little bigger than you'd expect from the frame size though?
    what do cervelo say? surely they've frame size guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is so much to unpack here...

First, why are people comparing other brands? You need to look at the stack/reach for a 54cm Cervelo (model???)

Next, it will depend on your own proportions and flexibility. Sure, 6 foot pro riders ride much smaller bikes than the manufacturer guides would suggest, because they are pro riders! Flexibility, conditioning, etc.

If you are looking to buy a 54cm Cervelo because it's a good online deal and you *think* you might be able to contort to fit it...don't!

Unless you can sit on the bike or at least sit on a similar geometry bike that a club mate has, don't waste your money! You may end up trying to flog it in a few weeks at a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Stack, headtube length and reach are all that is really needed when deciding frame size. If you have a bike that you are comfortable on and want something similar for your new bike then get those three figures for your current bike and use them as a guide. Reach can be adjusted using a shorter/longer stem and stack can be adjusted using stem spacers but your better off getting the correct frame from the outset rather than having to modify the frame to fit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Stack, headtube length and reach are all that is really needed when deciding frame size. If you have a bike that you are comfortable on and want something similar for your new bike then get those three figures for your current bike and use them as a guide.

I did that recently for the craic with all the (size 56) bikes I've ever owned to see could I make sense of it or see a pattern....

It just looked like random number generation. - I couldn't make head nor tail of em.:rolleyes:

I can post them up if you like and see what you make of em.

Advertisement