Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection randomly dropping

Options
  • 21-01-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have Virgin Media 240. Router is connected to ethernet in the wall which terminates in my utility room, I then have a cat5 cable connecting that to another ethernet input that terminates in my office and then wired directly to my pc.

I've not noticed any issues with it for months, but just started playing some online multiplayer games, and for some unknown reason, every 15 minutes or so, the connection is dropped.

I have no clue what's going on. Speeds are fine and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the wiring.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or how I could potentially get to the bottom of it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Start a ping from your computer to your local router, open CMD and then in there type ping 192.168.1.254 -t or whatever the address is for your local virgin router. See if you get any dropped packets to that when your connection goes down.

Open a ping to some internet address as well, say google dns so ping 8.8.8.8 -t and depending on which ping stops it will give you more information.

If your connection goes down, and you drop packets to your local router, then its a wiring issue or an issue with the router. If the router stays pinging fine but you drop packets to the internet, then the issue is more likely past your router. Should get you started anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Nice one Sheep - Will give this a go tonight!

Advertisement