Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight bulbs?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone I installed some HID leds in my car they are H4 but when I try to switch them to full beam nothing happens you can notice the slightest bit of bright light the full beam gives the car don't acually hsve it's own personal bulb for the full beam it shares the 1 bulb for the normal headlight beam and the full headlight beam anyone any idea why it's doing this or is it just the bulb causing it I bought them from Amazon it's the bulbs with the fans built into them . Pic attached below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF

They look like LED all right. They appear to have H4 fitting but usually, with dual purpose bulbs like H4, the bulb would give a constant light and when you dip your lights a "shield" would move on the bulb housing to go from head to dip. Have you a link to the site that sold them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

They are OsLamp Led H4 Bulbs. Reviews on aliexpress states theres very little difference between high and lo beam.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oslamp-H4-LED-Car-Headlight-Bulb-Hi-Lo-Beam-Auto-Headlamp-72W-8000LM-COB-Led-Headlights/32698331999.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

MickF wrote: »
    They look like LED all right. They appear to have H4 fitting but usually, with dual purpose bulbs like H4, the bulb would give a constant light and when you dip your lights a "shield" would move on the bulb housing to go from head to dip. Have you a link to the site that sold them?

I got them from Amazon here is the link I just want to figure out what is going on before I order a decent set of leds cause if there not suitable I will just have to go back to regular H4 stock bulbs

H7 LED Headlight Bulb - 8000Lm, 6000K,80W, 9~32V Cool White IP68 Waterproof All-in-One Conversion Kit - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPJTBG9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_iWKrCb7GNW3VP

They are OsLamp Led H4 Bulbs. Reviews on aliexpress states theres very little difference between high and lo beam.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oslamp-H4-LED-Car-Headlight-Bulb-Hi-Lo-Beam-Auto-Headlamp-72W-8000LM-COB-Led-Headlights/32698331999.html

These are the bulbs H7 LED Headlight Bulb - 8000Lm, 6000K,80W, 9~32V Cool White IP68 Waterproof All-in-One Conversion Kit - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPJTBG9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_iWKrCb7GNW3VP

Is it just those bulbs that cause the problem or is it because the H4 bulb shares with low and high dipped beam ? There is litterly no difference when switched to full beam with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Some doesn't add up here.
    H4 - dual beam bulb with three connectors.
    H7 - single beam bulb with two connectors.

How you even manage to fit and connect them?

• Advertisement

Some doesn't add up here.
    H4 - dual beam bulb with three connectors.
    H7 - single beam bulb with two connectors.

How you even manage to fit and connect them?

What do you mean I don't understand? The bulbs I bought are H4 my car takes H4 bulbs ?

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    I got them from Amazon here is the link I just want to figure out what is going on before I order a decent set of leds cause if there not suitable I will just have to go back to regular H4 stock bulbs

H7 LED Headlight Bulb - 8000Lm, 6000K,80W, 9~32V Cool White IP68 Waterproof All-in-One Conversion Kit - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPJTBG9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_iWKrCb7GNW3VP
    I don't know what bulbs you got but i can read what you write. Twice
    These are the bulbs H7 LED Headlight Bulb - 8000Lm, 6000K,80W, 9~32V Cool White IP68 Waterproof All-in-One Conversion Kit - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPJTBG9/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_iWKrCb7GNW3VP

Is it just those bulbs that cause the problem or is it because the H4 bulb shares with low and high dipped beam ? There is litterly no difference when switched to full beam with them

I don't know what bulbs you got but i can read what you write. Twice

I don't understand what your saying at all sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are saying both H4 and H7.

Which is it?

Not your ornery onager

I don't understand what your saying at all sorry
    I am saying that you provide image from one place, link from other place and now i am not even sure that you got any bulbs.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    You are saying both H4 and H7.

Which is it?
    They are H4 sorry the auto correct might have spelled it as H7

They are H4 sorry the auto correct might have spelled it as H7
    OK, fine.

Can you provide actual link to location where you purchased them from.

Let me jump up front here - link you given show H7. Option for H4 is also available on that listing, but its actually physically(shape, color, presence of "driver" etc.) different bulb than you provide in an image in your first post.

OK, fine.

Can you provide actual link to location where you purchased them from.

Let me jump up front here - link you given show H7. Option for H4 is also available on that listing, but its actually physically(shape, color, presence of "driver" etc.) different bulb than you provide in an image in your first post.

The bulbs I purchased are in this link I just looked at the link and the H4 option is no longer there so I assume I purchased the last pair hense why there gone from the website mine where the silver set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

What car do you have? some cars require a decoder otherwise the light can get stuck dimmed.

What car do you have? some cars require a decoder otherwise the light can get stuck dimmed.

It's a 2012 nissan juke it has no separate housing for full beam it shares the same H4 bulb for the regular beam and full beam

It's a 2012 nissan juke it has no separate housing for full beam it shares the same H4 bulb for the regular beam and full beam
    Don't see much of feedback here and not surprised - there is no info available on what bulbs you actually got.

I am not "expert" on LED lighting, so please do research on your own, but there are some general rules.

"Driver" serves purpose of "levelling" power fluctuation delivered to the bulb and this hepls to extend lifetime of the bulb, especially when switching/flashing between – without it bulb blow quite soon. Image you provide in first post does show no sign of “driver” unit.

Two/double beam bulbs, such as H4, have two separate filaments - position and light direction is very important to how light output will be shaped.This is purpose of bulb base "knobs" - wont allow to install bulb in the wrong direction. Wrong LED chip placement and you get incorrect light beam, other drivers blinded, flashing at you every time you approach them, NCT failure and potentially penalty from traffic corps. See this ad video (LED used model link in description) and compare to the bulb you got – separate chips for lo/hi beams, “low” partially covered(shell) similar to standard halogen H4 to direct/guide light beam onto reflector specific way/direction to form specific, correct pattern to prevent upcoming traffic blinding. Looking at bulbs you got, it seems it’ll be all over the place, but see for yourself – fit one halogen and one LED, park 2-5m away against flat wall and turn it on. If light patterns cut at horizontal line same/similar as halogen – bulbs designed OK, if not – should not be used on the public road!

As regards lo/hi beam – there are usually separate LED chips for that. If willing, connect your bulb outside headlight unit housing and observe if all LED chips lit on “low” or/and “high” beam ON. Of course, it possibly could be regulated by power supplied to the bulb on different setting(lo/hi), but this most likely would be implemented by “driver”, that is not present on yours.

Bulbs from ad quite expensive, but you pay for brand and all tech they put into it – cheaper versions available, however, be wise to look for reviews and common sense. Please don’t be one of those retards, that blind other drivers without consciousness that potentially there are lives/health at risk.

Safe home

Advertisement