Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

City car with boot for bikes

Options
  • 20-01-2019 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for opinions on a car to replace a small city car as with young kids I need a lot of boot space for their bikes, and also for my own as I do some triathlon and need to pack a lot of gear into the back when travelling locally to training or the odd race around the country.

I should get 6-7k trade in and at the moment I'm looking at the Hyundai i30 Tourer petrol. PCP deals seem to be ok but the search for a second hand i30 tourer petrol isn't coming up with a lot as they're relatively new.

I'd like to keep this for the duration of a warranty so hoping to get some comforts like apple car play and reversing camera etc as more of a priority than driving experience as to be honest, I'll spend more time in traffic or city roads than I will on decent driving roads anyway.

Am I missing anything else at the 20-21k new mark, or 17-18k used but sub 10k? I have a 2 litre diesel for long trips etc and because this is a short distance car, I'm hoping for a low capacity petrol ideally.

In short, city car with huge boot and great cockpit recommendations please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Hi all,

Just looking for opinions on a car to replace a small city car as with young kids I need a lot of boot space for their bikes, and also for my own as I do some triathlon and need to pack a lot of gear into the back when travelling locally to training or the odd race around the country.

I should get 6-7k trade in and at the moment I'm looking at the Hyundai i30 Tourer petrol. PCP deals seem to be ok but the search for a second hand i30 tourer petrol isn't coming up with a lot as they're relatively new.

I'd like to keep this for the duration of a warranty so hoping to get some comforts like apple car play and reversing camera etc as more of a priority than driving experience as to be honest, I'll spend more time in traffic or city roads than I will on decent driving roads anyway.

Am I missing anything else at the 20-21k new mark, or 17-18k used but sub 10k? I have a 2 litre diesel for long trips etc and because this is a short distance car, I'm hoping for a low capacity petrol ideally.

I've driven an i30 and i40 extensively as work vehicles.
    It's a pleasure to get out of them.

Try looking at a second hand estate.. Volvo/Merc/BMW/Mondeo.

Unless the number on the reg plate is important.. if that's the case.. get a Dacia.. super cheap, and as good as if not better than a Hyundai.

You won't be getting the creature comforts with the Dacia.. the Hyundai's are just ßhyte.. ßhyte gear back X, ßhyte handling, ßhyte seats , ßhyte , ßhyte, ßhyte

Do you really need a. Reversing camera and Apple car play..

Get something with a bit of poke and a bit of comfort.. hey.. get something with space as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all,

Honda fit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a bike rack for the rear or roof rack.

Estate would be a good option of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I drive the Hyundai for work and they are not nice, to put it mildly.

I know it's normally the standard and but if you could find an ex demo or year old Octavia estate TSI, it'll be all the car you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Thanks all. Food for thought! No need for something with poke. It’ll rarely get near 100km/hr anyway. CarPlay and camera aren’t necessities, but they’re luxuries I’d like to have if I could given this’ll be a 3-4 year car. Bike rack won’t do the trick as I want to be able to secure the gear/bike in the car.

It's about as far removed from 'city car' as you can get (although you are looking at estates, anyway) but would you consider an MPV, like a Ford Galaxy, for example?

They're pretty much just a van in 'private use' clothing. They can be a tad on the pricey side, but I had one for a short while (before writing it off in a crash) and I have to say, I loved it. It was great for space, and you could do loads with it. Cabin in it was massive too, so felt big and spacious.

Failing that, I had a Citroen C5, and as far as space goes, it was great (it was a great car all-round, in my opinion, but definitely had loads of space). Was a bit longer than your average estate car, though, so not sure where you wish to put the 'city car' limitation. I regularly had two (adult) bikes in the boot of the C5. It was a little awkward on the bikes (although you're laughing if you can remove the front wheel quickly) but there was still loads of extra storage space there, too.

I find SUVs in general (Rav4, Tucson, etc.) seem to look very spacious, boot wise, but rarely do they ever have any. Most of the SUVs i've been behind the wheel of, had boots smaller than most hatchbacks I've driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

J.R. wrote: »

Just don't crash it. I have very little faith in, or respect for, a brand that only manage to get 3 Stars in the EuroNCAP.

OP, how about an Octavia Yeti Auto? A little big for a city car as you say, but I find Auto is a dream for city driving.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Yeti-OUTDOOR-1.2-TSI-110HP-DSG-4DR-A/201810261858876

Edit: Missed the petrol requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all,

Honda fit
    Honda fit hybrid, import, automatic,flat seats ( magic seats) cheap tax ,,,,Google it

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Skoda fabia or Octavia estate Toyota auris estate all petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Renault Megane estate. Fiat Tipo estate nearly new or 1 year old should get good deals. Swat Leon estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

If you switch to folding bikes almost any car will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Thanks all. Food for thought! No need for something with poke. It’ll rarely get near 100km/hr anyway. CarPlay and camera aren’t necessities, but they’re luxuries I’d like to have if I could given this’ll be a 3-4 year car. Bike rack won’t do the trick as I want to be able to secure the gear/bike in the car.

If you're worried about security, get a tow bar and a tow bar mounted bike rack and everything can be secured with some cable locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Slightly above budget but has the spec you want and you could live in the boot. That engine is a cracker as well:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-com-amb-1-0tsi-115hp-dsg/19974997

Slightly smaller but still a good spec. Aircon is an option so most don't have it but this does. Android auto can be activated on it if it hasn't been already:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-c-style-1-0tsi-95hp-4dr/20696059

Auris Estate Hybrid. Not too many about but looks decent spec:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris-1-8-hybrid-excel-estate-auto-high-s/20792967

Advertisement