Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car - tax and insurance

Options
  • 19-01-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi. First time buying a new car - can someone tell me what the story os with tax and insurance? I know I get a tax form from the dealer that I can bring to the motor tax office and I can switch my insurance over the phone when I have the new reg. However I am assuming I then need to wait for the tax and insurance certs to arrive in the post before I can legally drive the new car?

Some clarification from someone who has been tjrpigh this would be greatly appreciated - been trying to research online but finding the information I need difficult to come by.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

I think you assume wrong on both counts. Once you transfer your insurance onto the new car you're insured to drive. The disc and cert will be in the post. If stopped you will have ten days to produce it.
    As for the tax i doubt if any guard will do you for no tax on a brand new car.
    Can you tax it online anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrFireCoalMan

Most insurance companies email your cert and disc to print yourself as soon as you've done the transfer. Tax can be done online with last six digits of VIN as your pin number. Did this myself just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Make sure that you pick up the car ideally on a work day or if a sat that the date is confirmed and all insurance change over is arranged the day before unless they are open.

You give a time at which your insurance expires and the new one kicks in but a car pick up takes a few hours usually.

Tax no issue. You use the vin on the sheet that comes with car as the pin. Usually its set up in a day or two. Just keep trying each day until it accepts the number and pay. Disc arrives in 2 to 3 days.

You can write in the insurance policy details by hand until disc comes if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Liverzeb

Thanks all. Wasn't aware you could use the VIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motor Tax - If the car is brand new or a freshly imported car then you can tax it online around 24 hours after it is registered using the last 5 or 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN for the motortax website. You will not receive the logbook in the post until you tax the car first.

Insurance - Once the dealer registers the car get him to give you the registration number. You can then either ring your insurance company and pre arrange to transfer over your policy from your existing car to the new one at a predetermined suitable time. You might also be able to do in online when you get there but I wouldn't depend on this method in the event the site is down or it doesn't like something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement