Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia Price rises

Options
  • 19-01-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Huge price rises since the new year.

Latte Grande gone up from 3.35 to 3.80.

The meal deal is gone. Latte Grande and Bagel now 6.05.

Celtic tiger back, well and truly.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Brew your own for a fraction of that and enjoy a far superior cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Brew your own for a fraction of that and enjoy a far superior cup.

Nonsense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nonsense

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Anyway. I walked away. Too much, too quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nonsense

De’Longhi Bean to Cup machine - £200-300STG on Amazon (depending on the model), will pay for itself in less than 6months (incl. milk and coffeee beans) if used even every other day. And you will notice the difference.

There’s a thread in the Bargain Alerts forum about them.

• Advertisement

That's okay if you're talking about take-away. I want the sit down, and the coffee and bagel was going to be my breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Christ. That’s a bit of a bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Starbucks prices jumped recently aswell, they are blaming it on the 4.5% vat increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Making your own is not really a solution if you are using it for a sit-down or meeting etc. or getting a bite to eat (for what it's worth I bring my own every day in a zojirushi)

The minimum wage increase is also a factor but that's a big increase alright

Good thread in the rip off ireland forum about coffee and other prices after the VAT hike.

The meal deal was 4.85, so 6.05 is a 25% jump. Business must be very good but I think there are still a lot of people around who are having to be frugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Care to elaborate?

Answered in post number 10

Slightly......

A spokesperson for Insomnia Coffee told Independent.ie that the decision to increase pricing wasn't made lightly.

“We would like to reassure you that we don’t take the decision to increase pricing lightly and in this case the decision was, in effect, made for us with the increase in VAT from 9pc to 13.5pc and additional cost rises including commercial rents, rates, insurance, and ingredients having a direct impact on the running costs of the business."

She added: "Our pricing has been adjusted slightly and only to recoup these additional costs.”

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/people-are-already-complaining-customers-react-as-the-price-of-coffee-rises-due-to-vat-increase-37675403.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For certain meal deal and drink combos, qualifying for the loyalty stamp cancels out the price increase for regular users. It doesn't for all of them

At least they don't try and blame every increase on the VAT increase when many of them are well in excess of it - its quite common to see stores blaming it alone.

L1011 wrote: »
    For certain meal deal and drink combos, qualifying for the loyalty stamp cancels out the price increase for regular users. It doesn't for all of them.
    Weren't the loyalty stamps there before or is there a new scheme in place?

KOR101 wrote: »

I don't think you got them on the combo deals before, well, not the buy ten coffees get one free part anyway afaik

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KOR101 wrote: »

You only got the 2% points on meal deals, not the tenth drink free stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What is never mentioned is that there is no VAT on coffee as it's classed as a food, so the VAT increase hasn't increase the price of the actual coffee....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DF-Artane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

DF-Artane wrote: »

Coffee supplied with a meal is VAT liable but plenty of places are complaining the cost of their good have gone up due to the VAT rise which is not correct.

They need to be clearer that there is no actual cost difference to them on their supplies, only on the VAT rate which they shouldn't be building into their cost model.
    So when the VAT rate was cut that went straight to the bottom line of those who didn't cut their prices. So they can't really then increase prices when it goes back to where it was

So when the VAT rate was cut that went straight to the bottom line of those who didn't cut their prices. So they can't really then increase prices when it goes back to where it was
    I don't think that's fair.

Insomnia had already introduced some fantastic meal deals. Coffee and cake for €3.50, and coffee and sandwich for €5.00. You can't blame them for not going further than that when VAT was reduced.

I think plenty of people are still having to be frugal and this change is too abrupt. I hope it hurts their business so badly, that they are forced to backtrack.

• Advertisement

The simultaneous minimum wage rise would have increased costs for many I imagine. However, I still think there have been very excessive increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

old thread I know, but goddamn a large Americano is €4.20 now

Exactly one year ago it was €3.40

it was €3.95 just before New Year... up from €3.85 in July

When it gets to 4.50 I'm out

Advertisement