Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 3rd party router - only 50'ish mbs speedtest

Options
  • 19-01-2019 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi, I know there are lots of really smart networkers here so looking for your advice please. The father in law is with Virgin on the 220mbs package. Has his main pc wired and hitting 217mbs on speedtest.net, so perfect.

The problems are the wireless. It's the horizon box he has and it was terrible, it would only let certain devices on and other people who went to the house couldn't connect. He contacted Virgin support and they tried some things but it didn't solve the issues, so they sent him out a white router. I'm not sure of the make but I'll be in Dublin next week so I'll check it out then. With this router everybody can connect no problems so that's one issue fixed, but the wireless speeds are not up to scratch. I was up there a couple of weeks back and did a speed test and hit around 50mbs with my dell laptop with ac network card. I also tried and acer laptop and similar speeds if not a bit less, also tried phone and the same.

Any idea's what's causing the bad download speed via wireless ? Could it be the router itself ? Surely they wouldn't send out a router that can handle the profile he's on, or could they ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its dual band. Name the SSIDs VIRGIN_FAST and VIRGIN_SLOW and only enter the password for the 5Ghz net for devices that you want to force onto 5Ghz.

BTW its the Compal ch7465lg, pile of garbage, but its wifi radio is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

ED E wrote: »
    Its dual band. Name the SSIDs VIRGIN_FAST and VIRGIN_SLOW and only enter the password for the 5Ghz net for devices that you want to force onto 5Ghz.

BTW its the Compal ch7465lg, pile of garbage, but its wifi radio is fine.

Thanks ED E, I didn't realise it was dual band. The only ssid I knew of was something like vm082483. When I'm up there I'll log into it and do as you said. Your advice makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hi, I know there are lots of really smart networkers here so looking for your advice please. The father in law is with Virgin on the 220mbs package. Has his main pc wired and hitting 217mbs on speedtest.net, so perfect.

The problems are the wireless. It's the horizon box he has and it was terrible, it would only let certain devices on and other people who went to the house couldn't connect. He contacted Virgin support and they tried some things but it didn't solve the issues, so they sent him out a white router. I'm not sure of the make but I'll be in Dublin next week so I'll check it out then. With this router everybody can connect no problems so that's one issue fixed, but the wireless speeds are not up to scratch. I was up there a couple of weeks back and did a speed test and hit around 50mbs with my dell laptop with ac network card. I also tried and acer laptop and similar speeds if not a bit less, also tried phone and the same.

Any idea's what's causing the bad download speed via wireless ? Could it be the router itself ? Surely they wouldn't send out a router that can handle the profile he's on, or could they ?

Thanks
    switched mine to separate 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks and it was a huge difference, no idea why the cripple it out of the box by mixing the networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

irishgeo wrote: »
    switched mine to separate 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks and it was a huge difference, no idea why the cripple it out of the box by mixing the networks.

There are some devices that are very good at figuring out if it's best to use 2.4 or 5ghz so for those it works out great to have the same ssid for both.

Of couse many devices are awful at this.

Advertisement