Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is 120,000 km a lot for a 1 litre petrol engine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

efwren wrote: »
    Looking at buying a small runabout

Have seen these two:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-picanto-2013-full-kia-service-history/19642967

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-kia-picanto-1-0-new-nct-01-21-simi-dealer-/20779253

The first car has 120,000km whereas the second has only 80,000

Same price . The higher mileage one claims to have a full service history.

The key here is that the first care (higher mileage) is only down the road, so any issues with warranty etc its a lot more convienent

My question is is 120,000 km a significant mileage for a car like that. Won't be doing a lot of mileage probably 6 or 7 km a year?

Thanks

If i was only doing 6 or 7 km a year i'd consider buying a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d hold out for a lower mileage one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whats the story with the first one being in miles?
    That mileage car is probably gonna start hitting problems with stuff
    As above for your "mileage" a bike would be far better! Easier on the wallet and better on the health

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

scudzilla wrote: »
    If i was only doing 6 or 7 km a year i'd consider buying a bike

Ha !..I have 2 bikes already !

Yeah obviously a typo 6-7000 km

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

efwren wrote: »
    Ha !..I have 2 bikes already !

Yeah obviously a typo 6-7000 km

I read that as 6k anyway - still a 30 min cycle dependant on stuff - a lotta money to spend on a car, insurance, tax, parking etc for that much mileage. And on crappy days get the bus (?) or is that the issue there is no buses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair 73000 miles is not excessive on a car that is 6 years old. To say that a car with that mileage is going to start hitting problems is a bit of an over exaggeration. At the end of the day mileage has never been an accurate measurement of usage or wear. I've seen cars with tiny mileage that have suffered a hard life compared to cars with higher mileage that still look fresh. Judge the car on condition and service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

120k on even a moderately maintained 1.0 wouldn't be the end of the world, OP. My brother's Clio had something like 280,000km on it's little 1.2. Granted, the head set had been done around 200k :o

Gave it two parents of a service, NCT and polishing and off to a new owner it went for another go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

fritzelly wrote: »
    I read that as 6k anyway - still a 30 min cycle dependant on stuff - a lotta money to spend on a car, insurance, tax, parking etc for that much mileage. And on crappy days get the bus (?) or is that the issue there is no buses

Yeah its more for times when I need to transport stuff. I am coaching kids sports now so having a car to get to matches, carry gear etc is really a necessity.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As said before the mileage on the first one is when things start to go wrong.
    I would think twice about a Picanto anyway, you don’t have much hope in an accident in such a small car.

What sort of things start to go wrong on a 6 year old car with 73000 miles? Going by this logic I'm amazed there are any cars out there with more than 100,000 miles on them or do they simply disintegrate? Some people seem to be just jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Well, I bought a 2013 car in 2015 with the same mileage and paid quite a bit more for it. I use it a lot less than the OP plans to (I got sick of getting wet - and more importantly, dirty, on a bike in the wonderful weather conditions that we sometimes get here).

Anyway... I service it yearly, the car still runs perfectly... and with not much more mileage on it than when I bought it :)

Gael23 wrote: »
    As said before the mileage on the first one is when things start to go wrong.
    I would think twice about a Picanto anyway, you don’t have much hope in an accident in such a small car.

Can you expand on both those points?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you expand on both those points?

That mileage is where you need to worry about tyres, brakes etc which can be quite costly.
    There’s not much metal around you in such a small car which means less protection in a crash.

Surely if the mileage is around the time tyres need replacing (I wish I could get that long out of tyres), it will be obvious whether they’ve been replaced or not.

Ref the safety thing, what car would you suggest?

Every car needs brakes and tyres at some stage or are there really people out there who would rather justify spending thousands changing car instead to avoid spending a few hundred on changing tyres and brakes. This logic is baffling to be honest.

Advertisement