Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 18-01-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice, I’m doing my theory test next week and applying for my learner permit.
    I’m 48 years old and never owened a bike before but have always wanted one.
    I have a full car license and just wanted to know what bike I can get on my learner permit, I was looking at getting a bmw gs and I’m just wondering can I get a bike like that if I get it restricted, or can anyone recommend a bike of that style that I would be eligible to ride on a learner permit.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

You'll be able to get a Learner Permit "A category" , that will allow you to ride whatever cc capacity bike you like.

Unfortunately, insurance will be limiting factor on what bike you can actually ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Theory test-get learner permit-do IBT-

Once those 3 steps are done you can then look at buying a bike and getting insurance, most likely you won't get insured beyond a 650 depending on what it is, now in saying that there was a guy who i did my IBT with, he got insured on a Kawasaki Versys 1000 for €500 aged mid 40's, that was with Principal insurance.

You'll need to wait 6 months before sitting your test from the date of issue of the learner permit.

Just to give you an example, last June i got my 1st learner permit, well it actually wasn't as i had let the last one lapse over 5 years so went back to the start, did my IBT in July and got insured on a DL650 with an LP.

Applied for my test in September, but mentioned on the application i couldn't do it until mid December at the earliest, 6 month time frame applied, got the email Christmas week with my date for the first week of January and passed.

So from Learner permit to IBT to Full licence took 6 and a half months.

Definitely worth doing it no matter what age you were.

There was a 69 year old lady doing her IBT with another instructor at the same time as me, so age is no barrier.

Best of luck with the Theory test :)

Advertisement