Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Fox 1.4 losing coolant

Options
  • 18-01-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

Recently purchased an 06 VW Fox 1.4 petrol for my sister as a runaround.
    Car in good condition but yesterday the low coolant warning light came on.
    Checked the header tank and the coolant level had indeed dropped.

Topped it up, took the car for a spin with my ODB reader plugged in and temp was perfect, never getting above 93°C. Noticed some dampness on the tray underneath the engine but with the damp weather it was hard to determine if this was due to a leak.

The dampness was dirty and as I had serviced it only 2 weeks ago I couldn't tell if it was some oil I spilled undoing the oil filter or just water that had lay there. If it's a leak it looks as if it's coming from the radiator but visually that looks in good nick.

One slight concern is that there is some scum around the fill point of the header tank. Hoping oil contamination hasn't caused that. Had a look under the oil filler cap and no scum or mayo like substance there so I'm hoping there are no head gasket issues.

The coolant in the tank looks very old and isn't a nice pink colour like it should be. Is this causing the scum? The engine is a 1.4 BKR petrol engine.

Has anyone any experience to share with these engines? The mileage is low, only 96k km so hoping it's not a head gasket issue.

Advertisement