Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use of in-dash touchscreen v phone

Options
  • 18-01-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I have a PUG 5008 "SUV" with a lot of the controls including air con only adjustable on touch screen.

It does distract from the road. New cars are often coming with large tablet size screens and tonnes of functionality.

Am i right in saying that using a phone briefly, in a dash mounted cradle, for Google maps say, incurs a fine and penalty points. But the very same action on a touch screen is allowed , as well as more complicated uses like Spotify apps etc.

If the same phone or tablet was mounted inside the dash, does is it suddely become allowed?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can only be prosecuted if you have the phone in your hand, have it supported by a part of your body, ie, on your knee or between ear and shoulder, or if sending a text message (including in a cradle)

However you could be prosecuted for careless driving if say the phone is in the cradle and you are operating it (typing destination into google maps for example). This also applies for in dash touch screens and operating old style radios for that matter. You're not falling foul of the mobile law though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Out of interest, have you tried adjusting the climate control temperature with voice commands?

Used to work in the old model Mondeo - not sure if from launch in 07, or after a mid life facelift, but it was totally pointless as you had to go through a couple of voice menu's before saying the temperature, so it was much easier to extend your left hand a bit and turn the knob a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

elbyrneo wrote: »
    If the same phone or tablet was mounted inside the dash, does is it suddely become allowed?
    It's more lack of hands, and line of sight.

One hand on the phone; bad.
    Also, phone blocking section of the road & blind spot if on your right ear; also bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I can't stand this move to touchscreens in cars. Give me a button that I can adjust a setting without even having to look at. But I do think it's inevitable and will become less of an issue with the move to autonomous vehicles. I think in car entertainment (in particular the touchscreen) is just a few years ahead of it's time.

Advertisement