Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For parts or scrap?

Options
  • 18-01-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Well guys, this might not be the best place for this, so Mods move if necessary. But the end of the road is nigh for my Mazda 6. I have it since new in 2005, have put 445k on it. It's a 1.8 petrol and the dreaded rust has set in on the wheel arches, so I doubt it will pass the NCT at the end of March.

So is scrapping the only option and what kind of money do they pay, or will I have to pay?

Or is there any demand for these for parts, it's a decent spec and and it relatively good knick for the age and mileage etc.

Any input greatly appreciated.

gerardk55

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not a lot, could be €50-€150.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Weigh it in - a 13 yo Mazda would be pretty much worthless for parts. A car that size is making around €120 at the moment I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

OK. €120 is better than a kick up the hole as the saying goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Best you could probably hope for is a scrappage deal against a new car maybe? Not sure if there is T&C's extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Keep her as a field car and retire it in a ball of flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

I'm actually heading abroad with work and have an eye on another bangernomics type machine for the weekends and weeks I'm back, so buying new isn't really an option. Might use that car as scrappage offer if and when the time comes!

She's been a good car to me, so wrecking it myself would be too much to take I reckon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think you will even get over €100 for it from a breaker, scrap metal values are pretty depressed these days and there is not a huge demand for Mazda 6 parts. You will definitely get more for it as part of a scrappage deal against a brand new car. However that means having to spend more on a brand new car. Do some maths but it might be cheaper to just scrap it and import something fairly fresh from the UK.

Advertisement