Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a VPN? Should I?

Options
  • 18-01-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Whenever I look up websites/videos on how to install pretty much any video app on my android box they always say "you need a VPN" and then pepper you with affiliate links.

If you google the best VPNs nearly every page is set up with VPN affiliate links. Is having a VPN essential and if so does anyone here have some genuine advice on a good one rather than the one that offers the best commission?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The only apps I have noticed that try to push VPNs are those doing illegal streaming and/or downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

It depends how much you value privacy. Your Internet Service Provider can see all the websites you go to. As most websites are encrypted, they can't see what goes on once you go to an encrypted site, but they can see the sites you visit.

A VPN will encrypt all your traffic from your ISP, so they can't see what you visit.

A VPN can also change your location, which can be used to save money on different sites, e.g. booking flights etc have different prices for different countries.

A VPN is especially valuable if you regularly connect to public wifi spots, as they are often unencrypted, and any information to send on them is vulnerable to interception.

I use ExpressVPN, and they have a blog giving some of the benefits

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no reason to discuss this topic here except as a discussion on how to circumvent regional restrictions, which is not allowed.

If you really want to discuss the security angle, which may be a legitimate reason to use a VPN, I recommend reposting the topic in a form in which the topic of IT security is an on topic area. But this forum is here to talk about television.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement