Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer/ surveyor when purchasing an apartment

Options
  • 18-01-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

We're considering to purchase an apartment in Dublin.

I understand it is recommnded to get an engineer and a surveyor in order to check if there are any defects in a house after sale agreed. However, is there any point appointing them if purchasing an apartment (especially an engineer)?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd personally go for the surveyor. They wouldn't charge as much for an apartment they may highlight things you haven't seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The bank will insist on a surveyor before mortgage draw-down. For the sake of ~€300-400, it will also give you some assurance & piece or mind and it’s negligible compared to the cost of the apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'd argue it's even more so for an apartment purchase especially if it is a Celtic Tiger build. Not so much for the apartment in question, though that should be thoroughly checked too, but the common areas and external structure. Leaks are very common in them and there is the dreaded fear of a Priory Hall situation coming to light in time.
    Definitely worth the spend on an engineer.

Advertisement