Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY Gigabit Broadband --> blocking SIP/VoIP traffic

Options
  • 17-01-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Dear community:

I have been Sky customer for several years. Until last Friday 11th of Jan 2019 I used to have normal fiber (up to 90Mb) --> IPv4 only, had connected via Ethernet cable a VoIP phone working smoothly for two years. On Friday 11th after upgraded to Gigabit Broadband, the SIP phone stopped to work with the error "cannot register the account".

After so many tests, I noticed the same account registered via soft-phone (Zoiper) connecting with no issues via 4G however, not registering on the mobile phone when using the WiFi connection. I configured correctly -several times- the Port Forwarding at the Sky SR200 router to allow inbound and outbound connection for both UDP and TCP traffic on ports 5060 and 7060 (creating the service > adding the firewall rule > rebooting the router): nothing, same result: does not work. Spent hours with the technical support team = not helping at all (I think they were clueless).

They kept saying this has to be done at router level (I configured the ports at LAN level several times), when scanning the ports of the dynamic IP from the outside, most of the ports are closed at WAN level. I am very suspicious that this is happening because IPv6 is enabled at WAN level (router as well --> disabled firewall and yet could not see the ports opened from the outside). They denied to disable IPv6 in the WAN and, even thought they confirmed the ports are opened, that is not true: continue closed.

Looks like Sky will not help with this kind of issues. If that's the case, I would fully recommend anyone using VoIP/SIP phones do not get Sky Gigabit Broadband because it simply won't work and the technical support team will make you waste your time with no solution.

If anyone here have seen this issue, much appreciated if you share your thoughts to explore another solution before just giving up and dropping this provider.

Many thanks,
    Enrique.-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure you're in control of your own NAT at all?

1. Google whats my IP (grab your v4)
    2. Start pinging that on 4G
    3. If it starts responding, turn off your Sky Hub, is it still responding?

If it is you don't have your own v4 address and are sharing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Was it Sky who you had the 90Mb FTTC service with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eajh1984

Yes it was... the only thing I did was to upgrade to GB connection (regretting now)

eajh1984 wrote: »
    Yes it was... the only thing I did was to upgrade to GB connection (regretting now)

It seems like unlikely then that they would be intentionally blocking SIP on the gigabit service when they were not doing so on the FTTC. I assume you got a new router with the FTTH?

That is correct and to be honest, I was thinking the same: they might be blocking SIP traffic intentionally. Fk HLL, they should say it mate to save time. I just tried with a VPN in my mobile, and it registered and connected straight away.

• Advertisement

That is correct and to be honest, I was thinking the same: they might be blocking SIP traffic intentionally. Fk HLL, they should say it mate to save time. I just tried with a VPN in my mobile, and it registered and connected straight away.

I said I don't think it is intentional. Which VoIP provider are you trying to register with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And you still have the same router/modem?

I do... yes. But I think there is no way to set it up since this connection goes to a different box. Am I missing something?

Advertisement