Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Green cards for driving in NI/GB

Options
  • 17-01-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems one of the possible implications of Brexit from a motoring point of view, is that we are going to need a Green Card for driving across the Border post Brexit, to prove to UK authorites that car/driver is actually insured.

Doing a bit of reading this morning, and no definate answers on it, but one of them is that you need to give a months notice before you plan to travel. All well and good if you are driving to mainland GB via the ferry, not so if you are living in a border town, and might drive over the border a few times a day.

Other artcles report Cards are valid for 15 days, others suggest for the duration of the policy. Hopefully it wont be another reason to hike prices under the explanation administration fees.

:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Looks like insurance company's are trying to make the most out of brexit by bending the Irish punter over a barrel yet again

Irish motorists to require 'Green Card' to drive across Northern Ireland border in event of no-deal Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pm. wrote: »
    Looks like insurance company's are trying to make the most out of brexit by bending the Irish punter over a barrel yet again

Irish motorists to require 'Green Card' to drive across Northern Ireland border in event of no-deal Brexit

The insurance companies are not to blame here. That's the sad reality of Brexit...

I don’t need anything to drive in the US etc so why would I need it to drive in the UK post brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's BS considering you can drive in Canada, US, middle east etc on your irish licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don’t need anything to drive in the US etc so why would I need it to drive in the UK post brexit?

You would if you had your Irish car and were driving on your Irish insurance policy.The card is to proove your insurance policy will cover you, nothing to do with licencing requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It's to drive your own personally insured car in another jurisdiction outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's BS considering you can drive in Canada, US, middle east etc on your irish licence.

not your license your insurance, youre not taking your car to those places. my insurance covers me for uk and ireland at the moment if i take the ferry to france i have to inform them.

there was an 'expert' on the bbc last night saying if youre in the uk and theres a no-deal brexit all bets are off if you have bought travel insurance as no-one knows what the end result will be (travelling form the uk to europe obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Melodeon wrote: »
    It's to drive your own personally insured car in another jurisdiction outside the EU.
    You don't need special permits to drive in Switzerland and Norway (and the Vatican City State lol).
    Drive as you please for up to a year.

Right now I can drive a non-UK car around for 6 months as a tourist. I doubt that will change.

Never thought of the insurance aspect.
    Can't see that taking off but I suppose in the event of a no deal WTO terms brexit then anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ELM327 wrote: »

My understanding that this is to drive your insured Irish Car in NI and GB, post Brexit, in the case of a 'No Deal'. Nothing to do with the License you hold.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    You don't need special permits to drive in Switzerland and Norway (and the Vatican City State lol).

Right now I can drive a non-UK car around for 6 months as a tourist. I doubt that will change.

All of those countries have the EEA agreements to fall back on.
    Cars in Norway have to undergo an EU roadworthiness test even though they are not in the EU. Those types of agreements will not be available to the UK, in the event of a hard or no deal brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

biko wrote: »

Schengen perhaps?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Norway and Switzerland are full members and the Vatican City appears to have an 'open border', so that's possibly why our Irish insurance cover is acceptable there.
    If the UK leaves with 'no deal', none of this applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like the card can be available for a minimum of 15 days and a maximum up to expiry date of the insurance policy. Hopefully insurers have it as an extra on the policy if someone wants to add it rather than have everyone pay for it.

Looks like the card can be available for a minimum of 15 days and a maximum up to expiry date of the insurance policy. Hopefully insurers have it as an extra on the policy if someone wants to add it rather than have everyone pay for it.

Unfortunetly, unless the insurance companies write to their policy holders, I can see alot of people getting caught out.

Many people who work in Border Towns and Counties, commute over the Border. People shop on either side, do business, visit, etc etc etc. If you live in Belleek in Fermanagh, you can cross the border a few time to get from one part of the village to the other, yes this Green Card thing, may also apply to NI residents. People who live in Donegal, for the majority driving though the North is the most direct route to the east of the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s not licence related; it’s proof for the foreign authority that your foreign registered car has insurance. Not at all comparable to a locally registered rented car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Unfortunetly, unless the insurance companies write to their policy holders, I can see alot of people getting caught out.

Many people who work in Border Towns and Counties, commute over the Border. People shop on either side, do business, visit, etc etc etc. If you live in Belleek in Fermanagh, you can cross the border a few time to get from one part of the village to the other, yes this Green Card thing, may also apply to NI residents. People who live in Donegal, for the majority driving though the North is the most direct route to the east of the Island.

this - im 10 miles form the border and would cross it regularly most of the time without thinking,anywhere apart form heading down the west coast is through the north.

i remember quinn insurance selling policys with no NI cover when i first moved here people used to warn you about them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Never understood why the didn't just issue it by default, company I used in NL had it on the back of the Insurance Card:

20140625-groene-kaart.jpg

Seems like a storm in a tea cup.

That's not me in the pic

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

redcup342 wrote: »
    Never understood why the didn't just issue it by default, company I used in NL had it on the back of the Insurance Card:

20140625-groene-kaart.jpg

Seems like a storm in a tea cup.

That's not me in the pic

Its also not her on the card!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Marcusm wrote:
    It’s not licence related; it’s proof for the foreign authority that your foreign registered car has insurance. Not at all comparable to a locally registered rented car.

Isn't that what the insurance disc is for???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No. Insurance disc is recognised only in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Motor_Insurance_Card_System

• Advertisement

Only to tell the guards that you are insured. But even that is not accurate, say if your insurance was cancelled, either by your self or your provider, the disk is invalid.

No disks of any description on cars in the UK now, since tax disks were done away with.

I vaugely remember some cars in the UK having some sort of sticker in the window, possibly 20 odd years ago, think it was something to do with being insured throughout Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The insurance disc doesn't give any relevant details.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Green Card system was set up the Vienna/Geneva (can’t remember which) as a standardised document acceptable in all convention countries. The MIBI administers it in Ireland. It’s not a money making racket, it’s an integral part of making sure that you can identify whether a foreign driver is insured. It’s not needed within EU as it’sxassumed that All EU registered vehicles have appropriate insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I used to use Green card fairly often up to 2004 (when I lived in Poland and Poland was not in the EU). It was needed everytime I crossed the border to different country which I did fairly often.

It was normally added to my insurance policy for free, or small fee. Valid for the whole period of the policy.
    Literally it just confirmed my cover in few languages and was in internationally recognised format (green card format).
    Grogi gave nice link above to show which countries belong to green card system (there's plenty).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Just renewed my insurance today and got a free green card for the next 12 months.

Surely insurance companies can issue these for minimal cost without being asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just renewed my insurance today and got a free green card for the next 12 months.

Surely insurance companies can issue these for minimal cost without being asked?

Heard the guy on the radio this morning mention €20 !!:eek:

Any chance to bog their arms in, they will do it.

They should be FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The insurance disc doesn't give any relevant details.

Cars in NI have no paperwork or discs on their windows any more.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cars in NI have no paperwork or discs on their windows any more.

And even then, they only displayed a tax disk. Mainland GB as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I've been driving since to late 60s. I'm from Inishowen. Pre EU your insurance just covered you fro NI, no question. The obly couple of times I took a car from Ireland to England the existing insurance cover was valid. The only times I ever heard of anyone needing a Green Card were when someone was going to the continent.

Of course that doesn’t mean the the insurance companies will miss the chance to do a spot of gouging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I just got email form Liberty Insurance

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/about-us/customer-information/green-card/?utm_source=Circulator&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20Car%20Insurance%20Green%20Card%20System

This Brexit bollix is going to be unreal for the first few years. I don't think the Brits understand the can of worms they have unleashed on themselves and us in the process. .

Advertisement