Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive problem

Options
  • 17-01-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, how person who is over 30 learn to drive when they don't have anyone who would accompanied them during driving. There is this new law, which I'm not against that allows Garda seize the car, 1k penalty or jail time. I have never drove the car in my life, so what are my options? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Driving lessons.
    Any friend with a license who would help you out.

I managed it, failed first time after 15 lessons, passed second time after about 8 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Driving lessons until you pass .Its the norm all over the EU .

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BloodySandwich

Hi Brian, like I said I don't have anyone at all who could help me out. So only buying driving lesson is an option. At least there is a way. Do I need my own vehicle for driving exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi Brian, like I said I don't have anyone at all who could help me out. So only buying driving lesson is an option. At least there is a way. Do I need my own vehicle for driving exam?
    Lots of people pass a driving test without owning a vehicle in the category of the test. They take lessons with an instructor and don't drive any other time and therefore don't develop bad habits. You don't need your own vehicle for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 BloodySandwich

Thank you guys for help, thats really great to hear.

Off-topic: Does anyone know how many question you need to learn for theory test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thank you guys for help, thats really great to hear.

Off-topic: Does anyone know how many question you need to learn for theory test?
    If you do a bit of Goggling you can find (unofficial) mock tests which are similar to the real thing. 90% of the questions are straightforward. It's a multiple choice system and there is loads of time available. My 16 year old daughter passed it a couple of weeks ago and she knows practically nothing about driving but has a lot of common sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I had umpteen pupils pass over the years without any practice in between lessons. It’s very doable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lots of people pass a driving test without owning a vehicle in the category of the test. They take lessons with an instructor and don't drive any other time and therefore don't develop bad habits. You don't need your own vehicle for the test.

Just to add, while you don't need your own vehicle, you have to provide one for the test. Instructors tend to help out with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's expensive, but if you don't have friends/relatives who will put you on their insurance and let you practice in their car with them, you end up paying the instructor the lesson fee just to practice. I had to do it myself. Ended up costing thousands by the time I added it up, but anyway, it's done now.

For the theory test, as others have said, most of it is cop-on. Over-riding principle, safety. If you keep that in mind you will get the right answer in most cases. If you can borrow the CD/DVD from a library, the practice tests are just like the real thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement