Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 TSI engine

Options
  • 17-01-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone who knows what they are talking about can advise what the above engine is like. Have seen it in VW, Skoda, and Seat cars. Performance seems quick but no word on reliability. How has it faired over time?

Looking to pick up a petrol over the next 6 to 12 months for circa 12k. Had a really heavy slow focus petrol before that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

They're known to have bad timing chains, but mine has been fine over the last 12 months/9000kms. Just due my first service with it now. I did have to top up about 500ml of oil in September.

I think 125hp is the most reliable one to get in your budget. But know, they can still go wrong.

If the 150hp ACT engine is in budget now, then that's the real one to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I have the newer 1.5TSI engine the last few weeks. Its great at lower speeds, very efficient, and coupled with the DSG box its nice to drive. Plenty of poke. At 120/130 kmh it is drinking petrol.. at best 30-35mpg.. Could be to do with the shape of the car (Ateca).

My 2012 superb averaged 48mpg on a trip through the UK all motorway.
    Is it still a new engine? takes a while to break them in and fuel consumption to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

only 700km on the clock - I'm defintely giving it the benefit of the doubt. My last two cars have been 2L TDI engines, so I'm probably a bit heavy footed with it still.

oh yeah, give it a couple of thousand km to settle in. needs at least 1000 miles to break the engine in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I've got a 2016 1.4TSi Golf with ACT. After 60k km it's been flawless engine wise. The only item that needed replacing was the front shocks. Car returns 42mpg (trip computer output), note I've used the new Circle K plus petrol in the last two tanks to see this return.

The issues with the timing chains are from the older mark 5 cars which were twin charged and over time caused serious issues. The 1.2 and 1.4 TSi in the mark 7s use a belt system while the GTI uses a chain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Great engine, smooth and frugsl. Timing chains can stretch in the 125bhp version. 150bhp ACT is a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Great engine, smooth and frugsl. Timing chains can stretch in the 125bhp version. 150bhp ACT is a gem.

Well you mean the older 122bhp version. The newer 125bhp version has a belt so no issue with stretching there its in the golf Leon etc from about 2015.

I had a 2016 Leon with the 125bhp version engine and now have it in an A4 150bhp and have found it really good. Very reliable, nippy, refined for a smaller engine and frugal. My A4 averages 42mpg on regular topaz fuel the Leon was similar. I have only had to do normal servicing to engine on both no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Seems a winner so. I'll see what my budget can get me! Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Not right sure. But did I read somewhere that the newer Tsi engines with the timing belt had a good long interval when introduced, but vw reviewed it back to something like only 40k mile intervals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have the 1.4TSI 150ps ACT engine in a Polo, it's great especially in the smaller lighter car, nippy and pulls pretty well in any gear, would't call it fast but never felt lacking in power when overtaking ect.

I have a manual and I am averaging 6.5l/100km mixed driving but I do tend to have a slightly heavy foot at times and rev it a bit. An auto would likely see that drop a small bit.

The ACT is seamless too you'd never notice it switching on and off without the indicator.

I have only had the car for 1 year so can't comment on reliability although the car is 4 years old now with slightly above 80k kms and it doesn't seem to have had any problems [long may that last ;-)]

Advertisement