Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia 2 litre diesel, thinking of buying?

Options
  • 16-01-2019 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying an Opel Insignia 2 litre diesel 2010 or 11. I know someone who has one and had a problem with electrics.
    I was wondering does anyone know if they are a good reliable car and have a good engine ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I think there's a oil seal needs changing every so often, not an expensive part, labour probably not cheap.
    They don't hold their value v well if you're buying off a dealer it's worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They seem to go through engines at an awful rate.

dont get a 2010 one whatever you do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Neighbour had one and had no end of problems. I'd steer clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dont get a 2010 one whatever you do

What I've heard from my Opel mechanic relative is don't touch a pre 2015 one

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

I think there's a oil seal needs changing every so often, not an expensive part, labour probably not cheap.
    They don't hold their value v well if you're buying off a dealer it's worth noting.

I see a lot of them around but I did notice they don't hold their value. I have a Mazda that has engine issue's with clogged sump strainer and injector seal's so I don't want to go that route again.
    I wonder is there any other 2 litre diesels reliable apart from from Avensis and Scoda.
    I guess the ones that hold their value are the safer bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭markie379

I’ve had 2 in the family for the last 4 years a 2012 & 2011. No problems other than a noisy valve in both cars .

Traded in the 2011 recently for a 152 . No problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have family who had Insignias of that vintage and they have had problems with them that cost good money to put right. I'm sure there are some out there that have been trouble free but there are plenty of well documented problems out there too if you search google - M32 gearbox, oil seals, blown turbos and mysterious spontaneous combustion. Pay your money and take your chances but I wouldn't. Reliability is supposed to be vastly improved with the facelift from 2013 onwards though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Same as above, two women in work have 2012 ones and they have had loads of trouble with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Told a work colleague not to buy one as anyone I know who had one had it in the garage more times than I buy diesel.
    He got one and the engine went in 18 months. Before that he had problems with the boot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Peter256 wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying an Opel Insignia 2 litre diesel 2010 or 11. I know someone who has one and had a problem with electrics.
    I was wondering does anyone know if they are a good reliable car and have a good engine ?

Accord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

I'll just add my brother has an Insignia and is just finished with a rust issue.

Both sills down EACH side of the car rusted. Had to replace and spray each side. Pointless job. Its only a 2010! Mental for a modern car to rust like that. Metal is paper thin so tricky to fix.

So they look good and are nice inside but are a bit ****. He didn't have any mechanical or electrical problems though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Despite the germanic spin around opel / vauxhall they seem to have lost their way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I test drove one a couple of years ago, it felt a bit.... Agricultural. I liked the dash design and the interior, but it drove like an aul daysul..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I had an 09 which I had to get rid of at 2 years old.

Few issues

I see a guy on Facebook with a 2010 one that lives in the garage

Advertisement